Broken Trolley - New or Fixable ?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Clicgear 3.5 broke out on the course today (only purchased March 2015) - main tube snapped half way up the trolley just after 7th tee so not too far to walk carrying that and a cart bag - even worse I only added a new strap and umbrella holder in the last week ...... :(

I suspect it will be irrepairable - anyone had experience on this make for such service and where as mainly stocked online and not in pro shops ?

Otherwise any recommendations on push trolleys (I have found this make too large compared to others when folded, heavy etc and clearly not that durable for this) ?

Checked my pro shop account and £140 in vouchers but they only do Motocaddy and had a small Cube one but thought I would investigate.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 125

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cheap 'extruded aluminium' construction I'm afraid, sign of the times and a throw away society, best thing you could do is search for a suitable replacement on eBay...

Extruded aluminium is basically all the low grade crap chucked into a pot and melted down to form an extremely low grade (read as el' cheap'o) aluminium tubing used in the construction of such things as golf trolleys, minimum expenditure, maximum profit... :rolleyes:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Clicgear 3.5 broke out on the course today (only purchased March 2015) - main tube snapped half way up the trolley just after 7th tee so not too far to walk carrying that and a cart bag - even worse I only added a new strap and umbrella holder in the last week ...... :(

I suspect it will be irrepairable - anyone had experience on this make for such service and where as mainly stocked online and not in pro shops ?

Otherwise any recommendations on push trolleys (I have found this make too large compared to others when folded, heavy etc and clearly not that durable for this) ?

Checked my pro shop account and £140 in vouchers but they only do Motocaddy and had a small Cube one but thought I would investigate.

Not sure what Clic Gears customer service is like but it has to be worth contacting them.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could be an easy fix for anyone with some DIY skills, nothing to lose it's feked anyway.
Just disconnect the cable at the top end, find a slightly smaller diameter piece of tube, insert it into broken parts, then fix in place using 4 small self tapping screws, reconnect cable and Robert's your mother's brother .:thup:

But not worth putting it in for repair. :(

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's pretty poor not getting back to you even if its just to give you bad news. When I've looked at trolleys the Clicgear 3.5 looks about the strongest and best quality so I'm a bit surprised, they're priced at the top end of the market so you would expect a good few years use from if.

NZ Popaye

Visit site
Here in New Zealand Clicgear have 3 year warranty. My Clicgear 3.0 handle broke after 18 months - took back to my pro shop and within a couple of days was supplied with new handle assembly, no questions asked. There is a design/manufacturing fault that has caused many handles to break....the aluminium is bent and bolt holes drilled at the bend to secure the net and has resulted in a weak point. It was no surprise to Clicgear that my handle broke as it happened to others. Treated with care since and has held up.
I also have the Clicgear 8 and very happy with their product.
From what I see of your photo, your break is in a different place but may be a similar issue where bolt holes have been drilled thus weakening the area.

On the tee in an hour so gotta go.

macca927

Visit site

Attachments

Hi Mate, did you get any joy, same thing happened to me yesterday at Frilford Heath on the 7th Hole FFS!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Attachments

Hi Mate, did you get any joy, same thing happened to me yesterday at Frilford Heath on the 7th Hole FFS!

He hasn't been on the forum for many months, so you are unlikely to get a reply I am afraid.

It's an awkward profile extrusion to plug and connect - if it happened to me (and I have a clic) I would try and get a replacement downtube from the firm.

Hovisbap

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you DIY it's definitely fixable by finding a similar, but smaller aluminium extrusion (maybe B&Q), and joining the two broken sections. But probably not something economic for someone else to do.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you DIY it's definitely fixable by finding a similar, but smaller aluminium extrusion (maybe B&Q), and joining the two broken sections. But probably not something economic for someone else to do.
It's by no means a standard extrusion; not even a standard oval...if you were set on diy it would be easier all round to make a plug from hardwood, with a hole for the wiring loom.
As said, my first port of call would be to just get a replacement part and diy it's installation.(and that's from someone who has a very very well equipped workshop!)
Really shouldn't cost much.

Hovisbap

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He could use two round extrusions then. It's difficult to see on this picture, but I bet I could repair it if it was mine :D

robbeh32

Visit site
Sorry to bump this mine did exactly the same at the weekend on the 7th hole as well would you believe it. I contacted clicgear and they're sending me the metal tube FOC but I have to fit it myself. Should be interesting wondering if its worth the effort as I kind of want an electric trolley now anyway.

Anyway if these guys come back here's the link ffor the main tube.