British Masters

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can anyone advise on costs of food/drinks when inside.

Going on Sat/Sun.

It's on the pricey side; Cheeseburger £8 couple of beers £11.50 Bottle of coke (500 ml) £3.20

I imagine the rent they pay is high......

If you like G&T there is a bar by the 16th green and to drum up business (it was baltic today) they were giving out free shots....yummy!

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone at WH today? If so, any spectating tips? Me and my Pops will be there on Saturday.

Was there all day today. Make sure you have clothing for all seasons. It was very windy and cold at times today. Balls were starting to move on greens and I wondered if they would halt play at times. We spent some time behind the 16th green.You can then see them play all of 17 as its a par 3 as well as 16. In the afternoon I visited the practice area (left of 16th fairway as you play it and through the trees) on the off chance. Saw Rose Harrington and Westwood practicing.

It was a bit of a cavalry charge with the big groups and we saw little so we parked ourselves at various places and watched multiple groups go through.

Finally, the road from the A217 past the course to parking was jammed. Took 1/2 + to get through it so be patient if you are driving or try the other direction.....Enjoy!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Farse getting In today, 2hrs from jnc 9 to car park (through a farm). Badly layed out when compared to The Grove and Close house. Rubbish to spectate at. We stayed 2hrs then bailed to play golf instead.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Starting to get excited about going tomorrow. Can't beat watching golf live and in the flesh. Pleased to see Justin Rose has made the cut!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here at WH at the mo waiting for the 3rd round to start at half ten. Very easy getting in the car park, no hold ups. Should be a good day.

D

Deleted member 21258

They are doing a Beat the Pro on one of the par 3s with child today, something I have not seen before.

What a buzz that must be for the children, surely something that will stay with them for years.:cool:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They are doing a Beat the Pro on one of the par 3s with child today, something I have not seen before.

What a buzz that must be for the children, surely something that will stay with them for years.:cool:
Just switched it on and seen that - what a great idea!!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I generally don't watch too many regular events these days (PGA or European Tour) due to the sameness but this is quite refreshing - a 'proper' course with challenging conditions.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watching the TV coverage the past few days it seems Walton Heath has suffered (burnt fairways) like many courses without fairway watering.

I don’t feel as bad about ours now as we look to have been affected almost identically by the ‘Scorchio Summer’.

Course looks lovely though.

Last edited:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good to see Eddie grind it out there today. Hope he gets it done tomorrow. Walton heath looks great on the TV, would love to see them come back there every year.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a cracking day at Walton Heath today. Got there about 9am so had to wait around for 90 mins for the third round to start. Saw an early Rose birdie though and a general peppering of the 10th green from the field before moving across to the par 3 5th. There was a strong cross wind on this hole and players seemed to struggle with spectators on the left side having to duck for cover fairly regularly as players lost their tee shots left. Stayed there for a while before moving to the 9th tee and then the 8th green where we saw another cracking Rose approach to about 3 feet.

All in all a very good day. As mentioned earlier, no problems getting in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can understand the issues getting in and out of WH but in general I think they've put on a great event, particularly given the summer conditions. Yes the fairways don't look great but the course is playable and the weather is making it interesting for the players. I can't believe there is a very strong chance of the British Masters disappearing again next year as there isn't a sponsor in place and the ET announce the new schedule in 9 days time.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Can understand the issues getting in and out of WH but in general I think they've put on a great event, particularly given the summer conditions. Yes the fairways don't look great but the course is playable and the weather is making it interesting for the players. I can't believe there is a very strong chance of the British Masters disappearing again next year as there isn't a sponsor in place and the ET announce the new schedule in 9 days time.
Sky need to get Moliwood to host it. Cash in on their popularity, and the Ryder Cup win. This has got to be the time to attract sponsors surely ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Sky need to get Moliwood to host it. Cash in on their popularity, and the Ryder Cup win. This has got to be the time to attract sponsors surely ?

I reckon both will be spending most of their time over in the US next year

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Im going tomorrow, it will be my first ever "live" golf event. From peoples experience, what do you think traffic will be like getting in, first tee time is 7:40.....am I right in thinking it will be pretty quiet at that time with the majority of people arriving later in the morning so more people are on the course already?

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im going tomorrow, it will be my first ever "live" golf event. From peoples experience, what do you think traffic will be like getting in, first tee time is 7:40.....am I right in thinking it will be pretty quiet at that time with the majority of people arriving later in the morning so more people are on the course already?

We arrived today at about 8.45 and it was fine so if you are arriving for the first tee off time then i'd guess you'll be ok.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure the host is the issue according to the article I saw. Sky are signed up to cover it as broadcaster but they are no longer sponsoring. I can't understand why no-one seems keen to get in on it especially as you say, on the back of the RC popularity.