Britain is overweight.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yep, we are a nation of fatties.

Being a 6ft 18st rugby player or body builder isn’t necessary healthy. That body type can put quite a lot of strain on the heart. It’s probably better than being an 18st lard arse.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember there were 30 boys in my first year class at secondary school... I remember we had two kids who were clearly over weight. Everyone else was roughly ok...

I wonder what that % would be now?
I was born in 64, and can remember a couple of overweight kids in a whole school year.
The normalisation of being overweight and unfit is pervasive in the UK. We have significant issues currently trying to care for a generation that were mostly healthy. I genuinely can't get my head around how society is going to provide care for the army of the currently unhealthy.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We have to weight patients upon admission and some are scarily big.

He financial strain on society due to paying for people with care needs is now well documented. However I think the further financial strain of overweight people on the NHS and councils etc has not yet been calculated. It could be monstrous. Out local councillors are going mental because they listen to the fact that we are a national of fatties yet the local councillors keep passing planning consent for more fast food outlets “ because it creates Employment”.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Good work Brian ?
I know so many people who diet and worry about fat, carb etc input. But love a night on the beer, and don’t associate it with weight gain.
It’s incredible that they don’t put two and two together.
I call it the hop soup diet.

My trainer at the gym saw from my food diary that I like a beer every now and again. He said have a few beers but if going out for the evening to drink white spirits with a diet/slimline tonic. So after a few beers, I go on to gin and tonic.
I've been going to the gym for 5 months, eating a lot healthier and drinking less when I go out. Dropped 2 stone so far and hopefully that's just the beginning.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are a few problems which I don't see going away unfortunately.

One: Nobody should be fat-shamed, especially if they are trying to do something about it. But there is a culture going too far the other way now, saying things like big is beautiful and all body types are healthy which I don't think is right. But it sort of gets lumped in with the whole motion of people identifying as whatever they want to be - and I don't think it's right because the health aspect gets overlooked. If you're fat and happy to be fat then that's fine but don't be under any illusions that it's healthy.

Two: Healthy food seems to be vastly more expensive, or perhaps more accurately, unhealthy food is so much cheaper. For the price of knocking together one salad you can buy a bag of frozen chips and frozen chicken nuggets that'll make 10 meals. Unless that ever changes you'll always have people surviving on unhealthy diets.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Look at the 1960s footage of the PGA Tour galleries!
Recently been watching a bit of 1970s and early 80s Pro Celeb golf from Turnberry and Gleneagles…and wow…Scots were real skinnymalinks back then.

btw…The golf is quite fun as well, and loving Trevino’s shot making if not quite so much his banter, but at least his banter is less excruciating than that of some others (oh dear Brucie…you really did love yourself and the sound of your voice rather much….?)

D

Deleted member 1147

There are a few problems which I don't see going away unfortunately.

One: Nobody should be fat-shamed, especially if they are trying to do something about it. But there is a culture going too far the other way now, saying things like big is beautiful and all body types are healthy which I don't think is right. But it sort of gets lumped in with the whole motion of people identifying as whatever they want to be - and I don't think it's right because the health aspect gets overlooked. If you're fat and happy to be fat then that's fine but don't be under any illusions that it's healthy.

Two: Healthy food seems to be vastly more expensive, or perhaps more accurately, unhealthy food is so much cheaper. For the price of knocking together one salad you can buy a bag of frozen chips and frozen chicken nuggets that'll make 10 meals. Unless that ever changes you'll always have people surviving on unhealthy diets.

Out of interest, if you go to a cheap supermarket (Lidl/Aldi etc), how much is a bag of spuds, a few carrots or other veg?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Healthy food seems to be vastly more expensive, or perhaps more accurately, unhealthy food is so much cheaper. For the price of knocking together one salad you can buy a bag of frozen chips and frozen chicken nuggets that'll make 10 meals. Unless that ever changes you'll always have people surviving on unhealthy diets.[/QUOTE]

Really? Vegetables, mince, chicken is miles cheaper than processed rubbish/KFC/McDs. Ah, but that needs cooking and prep and Gogglebox is on. (As demo'd in Oliver's series )

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Healthy food seems to be vastly more expensive, or perhaps more accurately, unhealthy food is so much cheaper. For the price of knocking together one salad you can buy a bag of frozen chips and frozen chicken nuggets that'll make 10 meals. Unless that ever changes you'll always have people surviving on unhealthy diets.

Really? Vegetables, mince, chicken is miles cheaper than processed rubbish/KFC/McDs. Ah, but that needs cooking and prep and Gogglebox is on. (As demo'd in Oliver's series )[/QUOTE]

Apple snack pots are £1 in tesco.
4 cadbury choccy bars for £1

I know which I'm choosing :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, if you go to a cheap supermarket (Lidl/Aldi etc), how much is a bag of spuds, a few carrots or other veg?
'A few carrots and spuds' isn't a meal is it? You'd want to pair that with a fresh chicken breast, or salmon, etc if you were making something. I'm saying for poor families with kids there's too much incentive to buy frozen oven food in bulk as it's much more cost-effective.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
'A few carrots and spuds' isn't a meal is it? You'd want to pair that with a fresh chicken breast, or salmon, etc if you were making something. I'm saying for poor families with kids there's too much incentive to buy frozen oven food in bulk as it's much more cost-effective.

Convenient yes, cost effective, I don't think so, especially from take aways

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
In this age of indulgence, what would happen to the economy if we all went on a diet?
Food, agriculture and hospitality would suffer the most.
It's all a conspiracy to keep the economy going, yet we'd be healthier.

I think you'd have to be a certain age like me to compare what people were eating post war and what they indulge in now.
Most food was locally produced and sold at markets. That trickled down to grocers, greengrocers, fishmongers, butchers.
There were no supermarkets. You were most likely to walk to the shops with bags to fill and walk home again.
Walking with weight bearing on bones and muscles has been proved to be good for you, but you hardly ever see it today.
It's not rocket science!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In this age of indulgence, what would happen to the economy if we all went on a diet?
Food, agriculture and hospitality would suffer the most!

Your kidding, the "healthy trendy nonsense my sister eats costs a blooming fortune!

I am sure the local farmers' market buy their carrots in Tesco, dunk them in some soil and label them "organic" at flog them to Giles and Miranda at 3 times the price!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
People say they don’t have time or fresh food is too expensive. No, they are just lazy, incompetent or both.

It is possible to cook good quality, healthy food cheaply and quickly.

Eating cheap food doesn’t make you fat. Eating more calories than you use does.