Bridgestone assessment

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played golf this morning and as I walked off the 18th I saw a Bridgestone Tour van parked up. Went to have a nose and saw that there was a practice net with cameras, computers, etc and a table full of every type of Bridgestone golf ball.
It was a Bridgstone ball fitting challenge, the rep was assessing swings and then matching people up with golf ball types that best suited there game.

I jumped at the chance never done anything like this before.

He got me to use my own ball and to hit about 5 drives into the net. He showed me the results and we had a chat. My current ball is a cheapy, Precept EV spin. The results were as below:_

H/S 115.5 MPH (Swing speed).
B/V 146.4 MPH (ball velocity?)
L/A 8.5 Degrees (Launch angle)
B/S 3458 RPM (ball rotations?)
S/S -288 (side spin)
Dist 243 YDS.

He went onto say that my ball is far too low compression for my swing speed. Some people under compress the ball at impact and he stated that I do the opposite - over compress. I think the Precept EV spin is just 60 compression.

Based on those numbers above he passed me a Tour B330 to test which were higher compression maybe 90 or so. I hit another 5 drives with that, here are the results:_

H/S 115.5 MPH (Swing speed). Same pretty consistent swing speed which was handy because it allows for a better comparison.

B/V 150.1 MPH (ball velocity?) I think this meant that the ball was leaving the club face 4 mph faster than before.

L/A 8.0 Degrees (Launch angle)- Slightly lower.

B/S 3098 RPM (ball rotations?)
S/S +40 (side spin)
Dist 253 YDS.

He gave me a print out which included the above scores but also the ideal figures, here they are for completeness:_

H/S 115.5 MPH (Swing speed).
B/V 171.4 MPH (velocity?)
L/A 10.5 Degrees (Launch angle)
B/S 2250 RPM (ball rotations?)
S/S +0 (side spin)
Dist 298 YDS.

I walked away with a box of 2 B330 balls to test and will see how I get on with these.

I was cheeky and asked about shafts and told him that I use stiffs in my woods and regs in my irons. He let me have a swing with an iron out of curiosity and the swing as he suspected was in the high 80's confirming that I might benefit from stiffs there too.

An interesting session and completely free of charge with no obligation to buy so hats off to Bridgstone. Cautiously optimistic that a change of ball and perhaps shafts will make me a bit longer and straighter (the latter being the bigger issue for me by far).

Anyone else had this experience?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a bit doubtful at that swing speed of 115mph. That is Tour speed, and with a decent smash factor would carry the ball around 285 yards or so. You would also need X flex shafts. The launch angle is very low at 8 degrees and is way below optimal. 12 or 14 degres is needed to get a decent trajectory. I think some of the settings were off on his equipment.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a bit doubtful at that swing speed of 115mph. That is Tour speed, and with a decent smash factor would carry the ball around 285 yards or so. You would also need X flex shafts. The launch angle is very low at 8 degrees and is way below optimal. 12 or 14 degres is needed to get a decent trajectory. I think some of the settings were off on his equipment.

This was going through my mind too. 115mph swing speed with only 146/150 ball speed , not turning speed into power at all and is wasting a lot of energy if the figures are correct.

Nice to have a bash though

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
My local club had the bridgestone tour van visit recently also.

The equipment they use is very accurate, they were using trackman radar tech, so accurate to within a yard for each 100 covered.

They told several people that the higher spin rate can reduce distance quite drastically due to it stalling the ball in the air rather than penetrating it. Also the pro's generally use complression of higher than 90.

Maybe sawtooth can give us some feedback as to how he gets on with his new 'fitted' balls.

T

thecraw

My friend went for a Titleist fitting a Kings Acre in Edinburgh, his swing was averaging 120+ mph before the vector machine broke and he was told that Titleist couldn't fit him properly.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

This was going through my mind too. 115mph swing speed with only 146/150 ball speed , not turning speed into power at all and is wasting a lot of energy if the figures are correct.

Nice to have a bash though

That struck me as odd too, but I was going to ask if it's possible that Sawtooth's driver was maybe damaged in some way?

I don't think it should be that rare that an amateurs swing speed is as fast as some pros, as they swing more within themselves than a lot of amateurs do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always nice to get something for free. I managed to get a freebie hour long lesson and a 10 minute chipping refresher (no that it did me any good today) yesterday by being in the right palce at the right time. I'd have my reservations about the swing speed but can't think why they'd give you duff info. Maybe have a chat with your pro and show him the results and see what he says

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

My friend went for a Titleist fitting a Kings Acre in Edinburgh, his swing was averaging 120+ mph before the vector machine broke and he was told that Titleist couldn't fit him properly.

Now this guy does hit it over 300 yards not just once in a blue moon like the big hitters on here. :eek:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Maybe, but so what? That is one example which says nothing about any other.

One accurate reading does not make any other one accurate. I was "fitted" once on a machine at AG, and the drives were supposedly going 275 yards in the air. I told the guy that those readings were impossible with my swing speed of about 100-102mph, and he admitted the machine was enhanced to flatter the customers.

Also, I have played golf with the OT, and he is a lovely guy but I promise you does not have 115mph driver speed unless he has been hitting the 'roids and the gym in the past 6 weeks.

T

thecraw

One accurate reading does not make any other one accurate. I was "fitted" once on a machine at AG, and the drives were supposedly going 275 yards in the air. I told the guy that those readings were impossible with my swing speed of about 100-102mph, and he admitted the machine was enhanced to flatter the customers.

Also, I have played golf with the OT, and he is a lovely guy but I promise you does not have 115mph driver speed unless he has been hitting the 'roids and the gym in the past 6 weeks.

You really are the most ignorant up your own arse person on here!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

At least I am not deluded nor quoting irrelevant and possibly fictional stories.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

At least I am not deluded nor quoting irrelevant and possibly fictional stories.

Its not fictional Ethan its so very true the guy told me himself and have golfed with him before a great striker of a golf ball.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Steady on people I didnt mean to cause so much controversy. All I know is that the machine read back the data as presented below, the machine might be false but I am certainly not!!

Image_000211.jpg

Note the pro made apologies that my ball type did not show up on the print out under "current ball".

Does it really have to be incorrect? I mean just because it says I swing 115mph it doesnt make me a professional! Anyway whenever I see a pro hit a ball it looks like he is hardly hitting the thing. :(

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steady on people I didnt mean to cause so much controversy. All I know is that the machine read back the data as presented below, the machine might be false but I am certainly not!!

Image_000211.jpg

Note the pro made apologies that my ball type did not show up on the print out under "current ball".

Does it really have to be incorrect? I mean just because it says I swing 115mph it doesnt make me a professional! Anyway whenever I see a pro hit a ball it looks like he is hardly hitting the thing. :(

Sean

I get annoyed when I see pros and companies trying to con people. This guy is trying to sell you golf balls, and some flattery is often used to do that. We have played golf. I have 100-102 mph swing speed, and you have something similar. 146 mph ball speed and 243 yards carry is spot on for that.

115 mph swing speed is noticeably fast and strong swinging, and unless the pro was telling you that your ball contact (aka smash factor) was crap, that is simply an error or a deliberate deception.

Don't be fooled by the people who say these machines are very accurate. That is misleading. They are accurate at calculating distances assuming genuine input parameters. If those input parameters are off, so is the result.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you beleive Smiffy and Dodger that job is already taken by yours truly! :D

Excuse me Homer. I have never said you are "up your own arse" or "ignorant".
Obsessed? Yes. Over analytical? Definitely.
Possessor of the shortest memory I've ever met? Without a doubt.
You're quite a nice bloke actually. I like you.
But feck me, where golf is concerned you do my head in
:D