Brian Barnes - RIP

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Legend of Scottish Golf and probably most famous for defeating a certain Mr Nicklaus twice in one day.

🏌️

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
He came to South Shields in the late 60s / early 70s & played an exhibition with Malcolm Gregson, Doug McClelland, who went on to turn pro & win the Dutch Open & our club champion. I caddied for Doug, properly, dressed for the part & lugged his heavy bag round. On our 14th, second longest par 4 on the course, Barnes hit a huge drive & asked his partner, our champ, what club it was. The reply was a shrug of the shoulders & "I've only ever played my third shot from here". Didn't see how much he drank before he went out.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Used to run into him in the early days at Sky when I was presenting the NFL coverage in the next studio. We would get the all-clear for a bog break and myself, Kev Cadle and Nick Halling would go running off to the bogs only to sometimes find Barnesy and David Livingstone doing the same thing. He was a good laugh when you saw him off set. RIP indeed.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
He won Seniors Open back to back, and looked like he was going to win a lot more on Seniors tour, but then got hit by injuries. One of the stars of the European Tour when I started playing, and a big character never frightened to speak his mind.

Sad news.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not many beer drinking, pipe smoking lads ever beat Golden Bear twice in the same day :)

On his gravestone - September 21st 1975 - the day the Big Man owned the Golden Bear