Breaking 90

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Well done mate ! I’m not there yet.
I’ve seen plenty of methods to achieve that, eg course management using only mid irons , but that involves laying up, by your handle you don’t lay up?
I want to get there by using woods because I feel when that’s cracked I can keep going to 80?

I’m quite confident with my longer irons and my driver is the best club in my bag. It’s my short game (100 yards and in) that lets me down. I probably do play overly aggressive at times but I’d say 4/10 it works out in my favour so probably a point to note about course management. Hope you manage to crack the woods

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Well done .

I'm too old to remember when I first broke 90 probably long before I became a member of a club. My initial handicap of 22 was too generous and I was down to about 16/17 within a few months, I had played for 8 years before joining a club.

That’s encouraging to read as my first handicap was 23.6 and I’m hoping to get down to bogey golf by the end of the year

NoLayingUp

Visit site
I’m almost there before it even starts. I’m spending more on golf clubs than I should be on saving for my upcoming wedding![/QUOTE
I’m almost there before it even starts. I’m spending more on golf clubs than I should be on saving for my upcoming wedding!

Golf Magpies! It’s a real addiction, I’m easily sold to if it looks good and it’s shiny

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Only broke 90 myself this summer so can relate to your feeling of elation! Done it a few times now but I’m always delighted. Going for 85 next as 80 is a bit of a stretch while I’m still 3 putting 2/3 times a round!

It’s funny though, I don’t keep score in my head as I go round, just score each hole…every time Ive broke 90 I’ve always felt I’ve shot mid-90’s before adding up my scores and being pleasantly surprised.

I’ve heard off a few people this is the best way to go as it keeps any pressure off your shoulders by not chasing a score or playing over aggressive shots etc

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve heard off a few people this is the best way to go as it keeps any pressure off your shoulders by not chasing a score or playing over aggressive shots etc

In my opinion, this is absolutely the right thing to do. Don't count scores as you go round or after 9.

Unless playing matchplay, your score doesn't matter till you've holed out on 18.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
:oops:

Must be some feeling that! How long have you been playing? Every golfers dream surely?
10 years now. I was actually -1 with 4 holes left, but managed a bogey on a fairly easy par 3. I parred the last 3 coming in, with a 4ft putt on the last to go level :)

Let me tell you though - with this game, you always want more. I'm off 6 after starting the year at 10. Now I want 4.5 or lower. Now I've hit level par, I want a round in the 60s.

This game is like crack, except less fun, more addictive, and more expensive ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Let me tell you though - with this game, you always want more.

After playing for over 50 years, I think I've had one round where I cant remember how it could have been improved.
It was over 20 years ago so time may have had an affect on my memory.
16 pars, 2 birdies, very satisfying to have no bogeys in a club medal, especially the squeaky bum 5 footer I sunk on the last for par.
Came nowhere in the prizes of course.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Don’t remember breaking 100 or 90

Broke 80 off the yellows last June regularly then did it off the whites a few times through July that year done it a couple of times this year too

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

This is one thing I don't agree with, for me, I always know how well I'm doing in my head anyway so I think it's best to embrace it and get comfortable with shooting good scores and get comfortable going low.

A better strategy I think, is to change the par on your scorecard, so if you get 2 shots on the par 4 SI 1, change it to a 6 and then you've got your par that you're playing to and not what a scratch player is playing to.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
After playing for over 50 years, I think I've had one round where I cant remember how it could have been improved.
It was over 20 years ago so time may have had an affect on my memory.
16 pars, 2 birdies, very satisfying to have no bogeys in a club medal, especially the squeaky bum 5 footer I sunk on the last for par.
Came nowhere in the prizes of course.

Awful CONGU handicap system. So unfair.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Awful CONGU handicap system. So unfair.

Time they came up with something a bit easier to understand! :)

I think breaking 90 is about keeping the big numbers off the card and thinking I have got 5 shots per hole. Make 4s at the par 3s and you are saving the shots to bogey par 5s. Anything better than that breaks 80!

Diamond

Visit site
I struggle to break 100 at my course and played with in laws down south and hit an 88. For me if I am good off the tee then I generally have a good round.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have pretty much given up on breaking 90 now. My best was 93 a couple of years ago, but I tend to be solidly in the high 90s. One day perhaps, but I’m not holding my breath.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have pretty much given up on breaking 90 now. My best was 93 a couple of years ago, but I tend to be solidly in the high 90s. One day perhaps, but I’m not holding my breath.

I am sure some of this is about belief! (I have similar issues re breaking 80) I'm shooting 82-85 in medals regularly... surely I can take a couple off?? :)

Can you find where you leak the most shots?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am sure some of this is about belief! (I have similar issues re breaking 80) I'm shooting 82-85 in medals regularly... surely I can take a couple off?? :)

Can you find where you leak the most shots?

I know what you mean about “why can’t I take a couple off”? I don’t think that there is any one area that consistently lets me down. The issues are (i) I can rarely get all four elements (driving, irons/woods, chipping and putting) to all turn up on the same day (ii) because I am now 70, distance is an issue and so, although I can occasionally par a par 4 or 5, my GIR is typically +1 against par GIR, meaning that straightaway 90 is an uphill challenge (iii) no matter how well I am playing, I cannot keep it together for 18 holes and so there is usually a couple of disaster holes lying in wait.

Having said that, it no longer bothers me that I cannot break 90 … if it bothered me, I would have given up by now. I can still walk off happy if I have scored 95 because, for me, that’s a satisfying round. Also, I play regularly for my club’s seniors in matchplay doubles matches which, because they are handicapped, means that I get the fairly regular pleasure of winning when I have a reasonable round … and I am able to ”keep my end up”. One of great things I love about golf is that, no matter what your standard, there is some way to challenge yourself and have fun … and the occasional high. That and the pleasure of playing new courses … off to Cooden Beach today with my school old boys golf society.