Breaking 90

NoLayingUp

Visit site
After getting absolutely hooked on Golf in March 2020 (just before lockdown in the UK hit). I’ve become an absolute Golf nut and can’t get enough of the sport!

I joined a club in December 2020 and got my first handicap in April this year when restrictions were re-lifted after lockdown 3.0.

For the first time today, I broke 90 and I’m absolutely over the moon about it. I just had to share it with like minded folk as not a great deal of my mates play so just don’t get it.

Do you guys remember the first time you broke milestones? Do you set goals or am I just a saddo (as my missus says) for being so exuberant about it

D

Deleted member 25172

After getting absolutely hooked on Golf in March 2020 (just before lockdown in the UK hit). I’ve become an absolute Golf nut and can’t get enough of the sport!

I joined a club in December 2020 and got my first handicap in April this year when restrictions were re-lifted after lockdown 3.0.

For the first time today, I broke 90 and I’m absolutely over the moon about it. I just had to share it with like minded folk as not a great deal of my mates play so just don’t get it.

Do you guys remember the first time you broke milestones? Do you set goals or am I just a saddo (as my missus says) for being so exuberant about it

Well done! Don’t remember breaking 90 but remember when I first broke 80 and was absolutely buzzing over that. Came close to shoot par for the first time in my life a couple of months back, standing on the 18th tee level par on a fairly straight forward hole but bottled it and made a double bogey. Strange feeling to shoot the best round of my life but at the same time I’ve never walked of a course more dissapointed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well played. To answer your question, no I don't remember the first time I broke 90. It must have been a good 4 years ago. I still haven't broken 80 yet. :cautious: I think everyone sets themselves goals so they have something to strive towards and measure progress against.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Congrats on your score. Now relax and do it again. As for when I broke 90, it will have been sometime in the early 70’s. I do remember my first birdie, and the Penfold Commando ball I used.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Well done! Don’t remember breaking 90 but remember when I first broke 80 and was absolutely buzzing over that. Came close to shoot par for the first time in my life a couple of months back, standing on the 18th tee level par on a fairly straight forward hole but bottled it and made a double bogey. Strange feeling to shoot the best round of my life but at the same time I’ve never walked of a course more dissapointed.

That’s so bittersweet, totally understand why you’d feel that way but still that is unbelievable golf and surely before you tee’d off someone told you that you’d shoot 2 over today, you’d have snatched their hand off! Hope you get the chance again soon

G1z1

Visit site
Congrats on breaking 90, great feeling. I remember breaking 100 then 90 and breaking 90 felt great. Just broke 90 for the first time last week from the white tees and now just trying to do it again but its not happening so far lol

Bassfisher

Visit site
Well done mate ! I’m not there yet.
I’ve seen plenty of methods to achieve that, eg course management using only mid irons , but that involves laying up, by your handle you don’t lay up?
I want to get there by using woods because I feel when that’s cracked I can keep going to 80?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done .

I'm too old to remember when I first broke 90 probably long before I became a member of a club. My initial handicap of 22 was too generous and I was down to about 16/17 within a few months, I had played for 8 years before joining a club.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I hope the divorce doesn't cost you too much. ;)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Congrats on breaking 90! Golf just grabs you and doesn't seem to let go, haha.

Can remember the first time I broke 80 (only done it twice though so it's not too hard to remember) but not 90 or 100.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Only broke 90 myself this summer so can relate to your feeling of elation! Done it a few times now but I’m always delighted. Going for 85 next as 80 is a bit of a stretch while I’m still 3 putting 2/3 times a round!

It’s funny though, I don’t keep score in my head as I go round, just score each hole…every time Ive broke 90 I’ve always felt I’ve shot mid-90’s before adding up my scores and being pleasantly surprised.