Breaking 100........

steveh

Club Champion
Visit site
It's good to hear I'm not on my own with this. I feel as though individual aspects of my game are improving for instance my driving is getting much longer and straighter - for months I didn't even dare to get it out of the bag!

But frustratingly, these individual improvements haven't yet combined to have a noticeable impact on my scores. Just waiting for the day when everything 'clicks' at once - roll on Sunday so I can have another crack at it!

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
All I will say gents is that fixation on a number doesn't help. I've not been cut by as much as rob over the past two months but I've come 1st & 2nd in a team com, 1st & 3rd in individual comps and been cut by 2.4. The secret? Just going out there and enjoying the game with a big fat smile on my face.

With two years experience of getting things wrong I can confirm that tension and frustration are guaranteed card wreckers :eek:

Keep us posted on your progress

johnboywalton

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes under 100 is the magic number for me, I have been playing for around 5 months, I have hit 100, 102 (shortish par 69 course) but in-between them rounds I have scored 115, 120, 112, 111, 117 and last time out 107, so clearly consitency is the key!
My lower scores have been when my driving has been at is best,(which can be woefull) not my "short game" although "putting" is where I tend to grab a few shots back (I practice it more than anything else!)
I don`t think I will ever have the game to get to a low handicap, but I just love playing!!!!!!:whoo:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ref the original post, when i was at this milestone and the 90 milestone i tried to remember a few things.

* Take your medicine - if you have hit the ball into the cabbage, and there's a 10ft wide exit and a 1ft wide exit, got for the safe option and drop the one shot. Just because you see pro's on tele do it, doesnt always mean everyone can do it. also things like 5w's/3i out of bunkers etc... why take 3 to get out with a 5w, when you could be back in play with a 6i/7i and only one shot down. This rule alone got me from 20-15hc very quickly.

* As said short game, this is a sure fire way to get to lower scores, doesn't matter whether its a par3 or par 5, you will normally need to putt unless you chip in, and of your playing level you will be missing greens. a creative short game with a wide range of chip and run shots to pitches with different wedges will hit lower scores, a safe bump & run with an 8iron is a pretty fail safe shot... i used that lots as a kid when i got to 11... and im only now just rehoning that shot. partner this with a good putting stroke an the greens that you do miss, if you can get up and down in two the confidence that comes from it is amazing.

* Enjoy it, and when your not enjoying it, try to enjoy it. Playing while not enjoying it is no fun, if the game isnt there that day, enjoy the banter with your mates, a beer in the bar and have a giggle, everyone has days like that.

* develop a safe shot, for example an 8iron or 9iron, and if the hole is a par 4 with trouble at the front of the green, dont go for it unless your 100%, a ball in the lake is 2 dropped shots at minimum, but a lay up to your safe shot is only 1. if you know you can hit greens from 8i 9i distance, then play for that as thats where points come from.

And the last one which im just getting to grips with is TAKE THE POSITIVES, there will be days where you hit the ball like a god but cant putt, there will be days where you hack like a complete novice but scramble points through your short game, dont get to hung on the negatives, ive done that mid season as its not a good thing, take the positives, work on the negatives.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can shoot mid 90's or plus 100's it all depends on the day. I still think the main aspect is short game in putting, chipping and pitching as you really can save shots but as others have said you still need to get there. If the driver is putting you in trouble don't keep pulling it from the bag drop to a 3w or hybrid. Take your punishment and play the percentages. Also finally getting frustrated and forcing shots as in trying to hit the ball into next week will ruin your round in score and enjoyment!!

All I need to do now is follow my own advise!!

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
Ref the original post, when i was at this milestone and the 90 milestone i tried to remember a few things.

* Take your medicine - if you have hit the ball into the cabbage, and there's a 10ft wide exit and a 1ft wide exit, got for the safe option and drop the one shot. Just because you see pro's on tele do it, doesnt always mean everyone can do it. also things like 5w's/3i out of bunkers etc... why take 3 to get out with a 5w, when you could be back in play with a 6i/7i and only one shot down. This rule alone got me from 20-15hc very quickly.

* As said short game, this is a sure fire way to get to lower scores, doesn't matter whether its a par3 or par 5, you will normally need to putt unless you chip in, and of your playing level you will be missing greens. a creative short game with a wide range of chip and run shots to pitches with different wedges will hit lower scores, a safe bump & run with an 8iron is a pretty fail safe shot... i used that lots as a kid when i got to 11... and im only now just rehoning that shot. partner this with a good putting stroke an the greens that you do miss, if you can get up and down in two the confidence that comes from it is amazing.

* Enjoy it, and when your not enjoying it, try to enjoy it. Playing while not enjoying it is no fun, if the game isnt there that day, enjoy the banter with your mates, a beer in the bar and have a giggle, everyone has days like that.

* develop a safe shot, for example an 8iron or 9iron, and if the hole is a par 4 with trouble at the front of the green, dont go for it unless your 100%, a ball in the lake is 2 dropped shots at minimum, but a lay up to your safe shot is only 1. if you know you can hit greens from 8i 9i distance, then play for that as thats where points come from.

And the last one which im just getting to grips with is TAKE THE POSITIVES, there will be days where you hit the ball like a god but cant putt, there will be days where you hack like a complete novice but scramble points through your short game, dont get to hung on the negatives, ive done that mid season as its not a good thing, take the positives, work on the negatives.

Great post Oddsocks, lots to think about for my next round!!!

For me, the biggest difference I can make is with my short game... plans in place to help with that!!!

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been playing for nearly two years now and only broke 100 twice. The thing i have found is that if i am recording stapleford points I can shot a lower score as I find that if i have a long putt for net birdie I will try to knock it close and then have a tap in for net par. If i try and hole it i normally end up past the hole with a longer putt for par.

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
I have recently come out the other end of your situation. I have been playing (not too seriously albeit) for about 2 years now and it is only in the last 6 months that I have regulary shot below 100. I am averaging 92-98 a round and have not gone above 100 for the last 18 rounds.
I know exactly how it feels and it can be so frustrating when you know you can make proper contact with the ball and hit decent shots, its just a case of making your muscles memorise your swing so you have a nice repeatable action.
People stress the importance of the short game and whilst this is absolutely true, I don't believe that players of your (and mine) standard and ability should worry too much about it yet, that will come in time. Its the driving/fairway wood/long irons that are probably letting you down, if you are hitting the ball out of bounds off the tee or into the crap regulary you are always going to post a high score on any hole. I found that getting my driver (or 3/5 wood) off the tee sorted has dramatically improved my scoring, as has using my rescue club on par 5s and long par 4s down the fairways. Topping and duffing it 50 yards is a real confidence knocker and you will struggle to make a score if you are not hitting greens in 2-4 shots.
Stick with it though because when it comes, believe me, its such a rewarding feeling to say you shot a 96 etc! Hope this helps!

steveh

Club Champion
Visit site
Great advice about taking your medicine oddsocks, I have a tendency to try to recover an error with an "awesome" shot that is beyond me, rather than the safer, easier option.

This really costs me (in more ways than one - I snapped my 4 iron against a tree on my follow through last weekend!). I think if I take one thought into my next round it will be this one.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great advice about taking your medicine oddsocks, I have a tendency to try to recover an error with an "awesome" shot that is beyond me, rather than the safer, easier option.

This really costs me (in more ways than one - I snapped my 4 iron against a tree on my follow through last weekend!). I think if I take one thought into my next round it will be this one.

Steve, when your at the range next, try and work on a little 6iron punch shot, if you want tips go on you tube and search for low punch golf shot. i tend to just stick with 6i/5i and it comes in really usefull for recovering from the crap,. it will help you keep it low under the tree's when recovering. we would all like to rip 3irons out the woods like tour pro's, but a simple 6i if punched right will still run up to 125/135 yards and still put in in a scoring position.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some great posts here and I know I have hurt in the same way previously but believe me it does 'click into place' if you continue.

The single biggest change for me was course management. Our course is fairly tight in places and there are a few holes that are relatively easy to get a bogey on provided you don't go in the hazards - guess what I always tooks the big stick or longest iron I had regularly put it straight in the place it should't be.

I learnt the hard way that on these holes taking an extra shot to get there usally meant taking one less overall so like the earlier posts I play some of the par 4's as par 5's and plan my shots back from the green rather than the other way round. I tend to think - OK I need to be about 80 yards from the green to avoid flirting with the bunkers so can I get there in 1 shot ? (usually not) so take 2 to there, is the fairway open enough where my drive lands - if not take an iron or fairway wood and drop it short - then play up to the 80 yard mark. From there it is possible to get down in 3 most time or 4 worst (well mainly :)) - in the hazard I could be looking at 4 - 6 and another opportunity missed.

Along with this approach I would rcommend a single lesson on chipping then practice the learning from that on distance control etc - such a big impact for me.

Good luck with the progress - keep us informed

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Along with this approach I would rcommend a single lesson on chipping then practice the learning from that on distance control etc - such a big impact for me.

Good luck with the progress - keep us informed

id stick by this 100%, last year (early part) my wedge play was dire, but after reading short game short game short game here, and also watching pros on tv, i noticed it wasnt their FIR or GIR that got good scores, but it was their ability to get up and down.

The practice green at our place is almost pointless hitting as its bullet flat, but when i move course i will be spending lots of time on the short game in the effort to increase my up and down saves, we can al miss greens by catching one fat, thin or even just missreading wind, but if you know you can get up down over 50% of them time, this has to be a boost in the mental game

Richardb1012302

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been playing since august and play around 115 at the moment, just got some new irons and playing again in a few weeks (after uni exams) then hope to get down below 100 before easter time. Well thats the plan........

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
oh and one other tip... if your going to lay up... then lay up.

if bunkers are at 150 yards, dont pull a club that you hit 140/145, because you can be assured, it will be a great strike and in the crap you will go. I was really bad for this, to the point now where i drop atleast one club but more often than not 2 just to be sure, ok it may leave 20 yards more on your next shot, but your your laying up because you want to be in a shot position, so make sure you lay up... otherwise you may aswell have gone for it in the first place.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll add one thing as well.

If you're chipping back to the fairway after a poor drive, you still have to concentrate 100%.

Far too often I see (me included) someone chip out without giving the shot hardly any thought, then either don't get out or hit it over the fairway into the rough the other side.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'll add one thing as well.

If you're chipping back to the fairway after a poor drive, you still have to concentrate 100%.

Far too often I see (me included) someone chip out without giving the shot hardly any thought, then either don't get out or hit it over the fairway into the rough the other side.

This is also a great tip, this cost me 2 shots at least last weekend. Its even worse at the end of the round when you realise you would have beat your PB if you would have concentrated on a couple of simple rescue shots :-(

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been playing a year before I broke 100....Now here is the secret to how I did it!

DO NOT TELL ANYONE!!!!

PROMISE!!!!!

..................................I played the shortest course I could find :eek: