Bounce games.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is a guy I sometimes have a bounce game with and we both always play well and it’s always close. I look forward to a game with him because I know I need to bring my A game to win. We both have very similar handicaps and at the moment I’m getting a stroke. Just wondering if anyone is the same by that I mean look forward to a tussle with a certain player.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy playing with one particular mate as it the one time we guarantee we will not be playing any sort of game against each other just enjoying the golf and each others company. Good time to practice and try different shots.

D

Deleted member 3432

There is a guy I sometimes have a bounce game with and we both always play well and it’s always close. I look forward to a game with him because I know I need to bring my A game to win. We both have very similar handicaps and at the moment I’m getting a stroke. Just wondering if anyone is the same by that I mean look forward to a tussle with a certain player.

I'm the same with one of my mates, prefer to play a game of matchplay, just the two of us. Play off scratch as there's never been more than a shot difference in handicap for years.

Bragging rights only at stake and its the golf I enjoy most all year. Had the edge on him most of the season and he's working hard on his game to turn it round.

It's especially good when we are both on form, really got to earn a win on a hole. Neither of us enjoy winning when the other is off his game.

NearHull

Visit site
Bit of thread drift, but I’ve been playing for 30 years and have never spoken about , or heard playing partners speak about ‘bounce’ games. I do know what they are from reading this forum , but where does the term ‘bounce’ game come from?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of thread drift, but I’ve been playing for 30 years and have never spoken about , or heard playing partners speak about ‘bounce’ games. I do know what they are from reading this forum , but where does the term ‘bounce’ game come from?

I think it just means playing golf…..I’ve only ever heard of it on here to be honest too!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
One of my mates I started golfing with when I first took up the game a couple of years back.

Weve always played off scratch against one another and he was always miles better than me. Officially I'm now the better player by 4 shots (me 11, he 15) according to our HIs but he rarely plays comps at his own course so I feel that on ability we're probably on a par now.

Generally goes down to the wire with the occasional blow out win and its always a match I look forward to.

Boomy

Visit site
Absolutely get this ?? When we went onto mats at the start of winter one of my PP’s suggested we had a matchplay game for a change - both similar handicaps so played off scratch, I won 3&1 so he suggested we needed a rematch.. then from there we decided to make it winter long, set out some rules and bought a trophy to play for ? Look forward to it every time we can get out. We’ve played 13 matches so far and I’m currently trailing 2 down but plenty time until the end of March ? It’s been nip and tuck all the way, I’ve been 2 up, then down etc etc.. It’s great and keep the focus going and games interesting.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy playing with one particular mate as it the one time we guarantee we will not be playing any sort of game against each other just enjoying the golf and each others company. Good time to practice and try different shots.
Did this today. No pressure to hole putts or hit particular shots. Just a walk on a nice day, stopping occasionally to hit a golf ball. A bonus that I played below my handicap. However, during the summer months we’ll have a proper match play competition where each of us wants to win. There is usually a pint on it.

AliMc

Visit site
I think it just means playing golf…..I’ve only ever heard of it on here to be honest too!
My mate and I play bounce games all the time when there are just the two of us, both play off 5, just means we have a friendly game not playing for anything, usually keeping a gp score, always been known as bounce games as far as I'm aware, our 4 ball games with the group I play with are an all together different matter !

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm competitive by nature so always like to play a match, weather its a singles match against one other player or as a 4 ball, be it 4bbb or foursomes.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I joined a club Feb 2019 so just before lockdown. Didn't know anyone

The handicap guy got me in touch with someone also new. We hit it off and had a laugh.

After they re opened I got 2 mates from work to play. They joined the next week as round the corner from them.

They also got on with the guy

We all now have a WhatsApp group and arrange bounce games

The guy is now on the handicap committee and plays with others aswell

Once a week we all have a round with a member of the WhatsApp and if no1s about normally get paired up anyways

AliMc

Visit site
I'm competitive by nature so always like to play a match, weather its a singles match against one other player or as a 4 ball, be it 4bbb or foursomes.
I was always like that whether it was at county standard badminton matches or team matches & medals in golf but now at 63, 64 at the end of this month, I'm happy occasionally just to go out and have a knock now and again where it's just for fun ?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate and I play bounce games all the time when there are just the two of us, both play off 5, just means we have a friendly game not playing for anything, usually keeping a gp score, always been known as bounce games as far as I'm aware, our 4 ball games with the group I play with are an all together different matter !

Like I said…..just a game of golf!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We use to have drawn roll up groups so had the chance to play with a wide array of members but since we introduced tee times we tend to play in the same groups but then all pay into the roll up kitty. We tend to play for the first drink with lowest stableford getting them in which seems a good a way as any to focus the mind. Our Sunday group has a "bitch" and the lowest score has to wear a rosette and get the drinks in that the winner has to pay out of the winning (keeping the rest) and clear the tables. Now that does come with a lot of flak and banter and is definitely to be avoided and forces yout o grind for every point

Funt1m3

Visit site
Never heard the term until now, but like it.
For me? My cousin. We’ve been close all growing up, about a month apart in age and about 2 shots in it (him better). Lovely guy, but a face I just want to slap when he laughs at my b2b 4 putts (and no not an analogy)

Great games, great fun, usually good golf

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Some of the seniors I play with hate threeballs & much prefer fourball matchplay. The problem I find with fourball is that, if I'm struggling a bit, I end up picking up a lot of the time because my partner has already hold out in less than I've played. With a threeball match I have to scramble more &, if one match is getting away from me, I can always try to win the other.

Answering the original question, the group I play with, although in their 60s & 70s are still very competitive, in a friendly way & most of the matches are close. I wouldn't want it any other way. The thought of playing without keeping score doesn't attract me at all.

Reactions: AAC

AliMc

Visit site
Some of the seniors I play with hate threeballs & much prefer fourball matchplay. The problem I find with fourball is that, if I'm struggling a bit, I end up picking up a lot of the time because my partner has already hold out in less than I've played. With a threeball match I have to scramble more &, if one match is getting away from me, I can always try to win the other.

Answering the original question, the group I play with, although in their 60s & 70s are still very competitive, in a friendly way & most of the matches are close. I wouldn't want it any other way. The thought of playing without keeping score doesn't attract me at all.
Yeah but you can still keep a score in a bounce game, we keep gp scores, to me a bounce game means not playing for money or who pays for the coffee & rolls etc

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's a term that seems to be recognised throughout UK, but the first time I heard it was when working in Scotland. Equivalent to 'friendly', with nothing substantial actually on the result.
I got the impression that it came from Football - a final 'nothing on it' kickabout at the end of a practice session.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
When I lived in the IoM I had a short lived buddy who I'd met through work (he moved off island), he was off 4 and me 6 at the time, but we played every weekday and raced round, playing the back tees and always done in around 2 1/2 hours. It was always close and low scoring, it did seem to drive us both on.