Bounce advice

bens1247

Visit site
Hi all,

I am a high handicapper (about 24) but now playing regularly so hoping to improve. I am after a new sand wedge and think I have nailed it down to the Ping Glide 4.0 reg flex because my swing speed isn’t that fast (about 90) and play in the UK south Coast. What bounce do you think I need?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Jason H
The amount of bounce depends

(1) on the type of sand in the bunkers where you play the most soft fluffy deep sand sand high bounce ( I have a 14 degree bounce for this type of sand).
(2) If you are intending it for greenside or fairway use the type of grass/ soil you have where you play. High bounce is recommended for very lush soft conditions and low bounce for hard sparse conditions.

If the 2 conflict buy the wedge for the bunkers and use something else for the fairway /greenside.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This, also worth taking into consideration I'd the have a steep swing or not,

I‘d go with this as well as the advice about sand etc. Shallow swing you can get away with low bounce, steep swing might benefit from high bounce. Probably can’t go wrong with medium if you either don’t know or can’t test them out.

I’m quite steep and don’t get on with low bounce wedges even thought I “ought” to be able to being low ish hc.

shane3003

Visit site
For me, swing arc plays a big part in this decision, I’ve a shallow swing and rarely take divots, almost sweeping with a small minus angle of attack.
I used to have 58 with low bounce (6) but during a recent fitting it was suggested standard bounce (10) would be better.
My chipping and play around the greens used to be a strong part of my game, however first time out with this higher bounce club and I struggled. I’m going to persevere for a few more rounds but I may end up buying another wedge with lower bounce.

Might be worth seeing if you could try a few wedges with different bounces, see which you prefer before buying.

evemccc

Visit site
For me, swing arc plays a big part in this decision, I’ve a shallow swing and rarely take divots, almost sweeping with a small minus angle of attack.
I used to have 58 with low bounce (6) but during a recent fitting it was suggested standard bounce (10) would be better.
My chipping and play around the greens used to be a strong part of my game, however first time out with this higher bounce club and I struggled. I’m going to persevere for a few more rounds but I may end up buying another wedge with lower bounce.

Might be worth seeing if you could try a few wedges with different bounces, see which you prefer before buying.

This is me also….I’m a lot better with a £30 eBay low bounce lob wedge than a high bounce fitted brand new 55 wedge 🤷🏻‍♂️

AFAIK one school of thought is to get wedges with grinds and bounces that suit your swing (how steep etc), and another is that there are so many different types of shots required around the green and in bunkers, with different types of lie and pin placements, that a diverse set of lofts and bounces are required to accommodate the different short game shots