Bottling the shot.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Using the word aggressive with chips makes me cringe, especially if you are struggling in the first place.

Conjures up images of a horrible, short jabby shot with downswing started in a blur before any backswing is finished.

Key word for me when I had chipping issues was 'time'. Time so that the club goes back, no rush in transition, then collects ball on way back through. Absolutely no aggression involved.

Yup. Treat a chip like a smooth putt.

My_HarrisTweed_Cap

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Poor mind set and anxiety are the cause.

Until you control your mind you'll always struggle. Its only a golf shot, just like the shot you hit previously. Where is the difference? If anything it should be easier as your now closer to the target. Its always easier to hit a target from 15 yards away than 220 yards!

Turn the situation on its head, turn that negative mindset into a positive and you'll see a different free approach.

The mind is a wonderful thing.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weirdly and especially for my handicap chipping is probably the stringent part of my game. 8i if I'm close the the 52 the the pw. Can ususlly get it pretty close for a tap or shortish putt. Just a nice smooth putting stoke. Strangely I can't use the image of where I want it to land I have to envisage what I want the ball to do and end up! Works for me so far!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Using the word aggressive with chips makes me cringe, especially if you are struggling in the first place.

Conjures up images of a horrible, short jabby shot with downswing started in a blur before any backswing is finished.

Key word for me when I had chipping issues was 'time'. Time so that the club goes back, no rush in transition, then collects ball on way back through. Absolutely no aggression involved.

Very true Rob. Aggressive is the wrong term.

What I mean is you see someone greenside with a lot of loft in there hands and either decelerate into the ball or don't give the ball enough to do what they want.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
not forgetting that you don't hit down on a putt. never liked that phrase, "hit it like a putt".

Yes you can hit down on a putt. Very useful shot from the fringe to get the ball to jump and run.

Plus, there are various ways to chip. Linear method uses the wedge bounce, thus no apparent need to 'hit down' as you may do with the back-in-the-stance technique; you just 'collect' the ball, rather like putting...:D