Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Wolf

Visit site
Without commuting, do people read more or less?
I usually read on the train and during lunch break, I haven’t touched a book in about 3 weeks now. I was struggling to find them next thing’ anyway, hopefully there will something once the world starts to turn again.
I've increased my already prolific reading rate. Usually get through a book every 2-3 weeks normally which is around 17 books ish a year, but that's increased to 1 a week started and finished during lockdown. I've always been a bit obsessed with reading since spending loads of time in hospital as a kid and its a habit that's always stayed with me.. Plus I also have audio books on the go when running or driving.

Currently working my way through the Entire Tom Clancy back catalogue and there are some hefty books in that.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Halfway through Halidon by Robert Ludlum [Bourne Trilogy writer]
Really struggling with it to be honest, I was also not a fan of the Bourne films, probably just me.
I gave it a good talking to the other night and it seems to have picked up a bit since.
Two Rankin's and a Quinten Jardine sitting on the subs bench.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My rekindled Kindle is serving me well. I do like historical novels especially the Anglo Saxon period. Currently working through the life of Earl Godwine and his sons leading up to the battle of Hastings. OK! I know, I know it's sad but it does push my boat out ?

ferenezejohn

Visit site
I've just read the Knife Man, the life of John Hunter father of modern surgery, fascinating read.
What come across is how he had to battle the old school surgeons who's answer to everything was bloodletting, we also owe a dept to the body snatchers as that was the only way he could get cadavers to work on and teach students.
I'm also rereading Edward Jenner of Berkeley who discovered the vaccine for Smallpox, strangely he was a student of Hunter as was Joseph Lister.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just read the Knife Man, the life of John Hunter father of modern surgery, fascinating read.
What come across is how he had to battle the old school surgeons who's answer to everything was bloodletting, we also owe a dept to the body snatchers as that was the only way he could get cadavers to work on and teach students.
I'm also rereading Edward Jenner of Berkeley who discovered the vaccine for Smallpox, strangely he was a student of Hunter as was Joseph Lister.
Theres a nice little museum for Jenner at his old house in Berkeley, Gloucestershire.

I read once that most surgery was first carried out by 'Barber Surgeons' who were not qualified Doctors and that's why Surgeons are called Mr and not Doctor. Just saying.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just finished Chickenhawk by Robert Mason which I first read about 10 years ago. One of the best real life accounts of the Vietnam War. The next one I have lined up is "It" by Stephen King.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Theres a nice little museum for Jenner at his old house in Berkeley, Gloucestershire.

I read once that most surgery was first carried out by 'Barber Surgeons' who were not qualified Doctors and that's why Surgeons are called Mr and not Doctor. Just saying.
It was mostly blood letting barbers done and tooth pulling, usually with the army at the time
The Mr comes because they had to get a university degree back in the day.
Modern surgeons become doctors at medical school and revert to Mr or Miss when they pass their surgical exams.

Jokki

Visit site
I've just finished Chickenhawk by Robert Mason which I first read about 10 years ago. One of the best real life accounts of the Vietnam War. The next one I have lined up is "It" by Stephen King.
Wow! Stephen King it's my favourite author. Which book you plan reading?
I like this genre. But now i forced to read book for my education. And i must writing much essay..i hate it, it's so bored, i thinking about using assignment writing service. What do you think about it? Study it's not as interesting as Stephen King.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Hence I believe why barber's shops have the red & white poles outside them.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having now finished the Hunter Davies book, I am about to start a 500-page book called The Frood by Jem Roberts. This is described as the authorised and very official history of Douglas Adams and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Currently splitting my time between The Pilates Bible, Excelling at No-limit Holdem, The Tapping Solution and an especially indigestable part of Tolleys Tax series

Definitely need to add some fiction to the rotation!!!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow! Stephen King it's my favourite author. Which book you plan reading?
I like this genre. But now i forced to read book for my education. It's not as interesting as Stephen King.

IT. I've been busy, so only halfway through the second chapter since I started reading it. Two people already dead though. The clown did it?

Wolf

Visit site
In my pursuit of reading every Tom Clancy novel through lock down I am now reading The Hunt for Red October.

I've seen the film & know what happens and every time I read a passage I automatically picture Sean Conner ad. Marko Ramius. But I have to say the book as usual is hugely out doing the film and is enthralling. His best work I've read so far and it's relatively a short story by comparison to his other tomes I've read.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
In my pursuit of reading every Tom Clancy novel through lock down I am now reading The Hunt for Red October.

I've seen the film & know what happens and every time I read a passage I automatically picture Sean Conner ad. Marko Ramius. But I have to say the book as usual is hugely out doing the film and is enthralling. His best work I've read so far and it's relatively a short story by comparison to his other tomes I've read.
This is my favourite movie ever, but not read any Tom Clancy books yet.