BMW electronic service history

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Read the OP. It’s kept in the cloud. Therefore not in the car, only accessed via the car.
There can also lie the problem

On a fairly recent consumer programme there was an article about a company losing all their financial records due to 'cloud' failure. Sorry cannot remember the name of the cloud company but it was a major player.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

On a fairly recent consumer programme there was an article about a company losing all their financial records due to 'cloud' failure. Sorry cannot remember the name of the cloud company but it was a major player.
Having essential company data kept 'on the cloud' doesn't excuse 'proper' backup(s)!

Leftitshort

Visit site

So just in case the car catches fire & the cloud fails we should revert to the paper book. What if my dog eats the paper book.
I don’t have a dog, or a paper book and this is nonsense

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cars have computers - computers can fail. Surely the service record on your car is kept on the cars computer. I had a burn out (actual fire) of the computer system on one car.

It's held on cloud. So if the iDrive system is replaced, for example, or the HDD fails then it can be resynced with my record by simply logging back in.

Leftitshort

Visit site
I think you have not read the point at which these comments started

"The electronic record also can't be misplaced or torn or damaged through the life of the car."
Would you prefer less likely to be misplaced or torn etc etc? Is that more to your liking? In your experience what is more likely; I lose my service book, my car spontaneously combusts, the whole IT system of the world fails or we get hit by an asteroid & Bruce Willis isn’t around to save us?

D

Deleted member 15344

My original point was a simple one - computers fail.

not very often and certainly in most cases data is sent to a cloud server which will be suitably backed up on a virtual platform

Days of regular computer failures are in the past - even more so Data issues

Service history could easily be held on a cloud platform - more chance of losing a hand written book than data on a cloud server

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My original point was a simple one - computers fail.

A computer fails. Cloud data isn't just held in one singular location so you're basically saying that it's highly likely a string of events would occur for that data to be lost.

You saw an example of it on TV though so must be common. The company that it happened to probably didn't follow cloud practices and also probably failed simple data regulation tests. Highly, highly unusual.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
not very often and certainly in most cases data is sent to a cloud server which will be suitably backed up on a virtual platform

Service history could easily be held on a cloud platform - more chance of losing a hand written book than data on a cloud server
That doesn't excuse having no/inadequate procedures in place to cover possible failures - and testing/reviewing them regularly!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is exactly how it works. The MyBMW app gets you to log in and then link your credentials to the VIN number, this synchronises the car data with the driver data (finance agreements, personal details etc). VIN details contain service information and physical check attributes.

MercedesMe works the same.