Blister issues

lairdy5452

Visit site
Hello experts and all golfers,

I have played golf 2-3 times a week for the last 5 years and like most regular players have had lots of blisters on my hands when i started. However over the last 6 weeks I have started going through gloves very quickly (some having a hole in them within 2 weeks!) with the problem area being just below the joint on my left thumb. I have been told by the pros at my club that my grip is good (I will try to upload photos) but they cannot think of a reason why the blister is in this area. I left my hand to completely heal but yesterday the blister came back to bleeding within 20 balls at the range.

Any help would be much appreciated
Adam

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it's a grip issue - looking at the pics

left hand hold the handle is too much up in the palm with the hand in a 'weak' position (rotated too much counterclockwise)
this is also putting the wrong part of the left thumb in contact with the handle -thumb little ways too flat on the handle so the pressure is on the thumb below the crease

this hold will mean the wrist won't be able to 'set' upwards properly on the 'snuff box' wrist joint, so instead of 'setting' the wrist bends over

this oftentimes means the grip hold in the left hand is also a ways too 'tight' at address & as it impossible keep that pressure to the top plus the fact that the left hand/wrist is 'setting' incorrectly & oftentimes means that the swing is overlong at the top - these problems with where the handle lies in the hand plus pressure plus not setting good all play together to cause the hand to loosen at the top so the handle moves then there's a re-grip to start the downswing - it's the movement, the friction, that causes the blistering

if you wore a glove the wear holes would be on the thumb below the thumb crease but also high up on the heel pad

there's two 'hold' videos in the other thread (feedback please) in this section I put up for where the handle should sit in both the left & right hand - if you don't use a glove at all would advise you get one - but you still gotta change the way you currently hold the handle

common with this type of grip that folks miss the center sweetspot at strike & strike bunch of 'toe' maybes heel strikes which gives the double whammy of the club twisting at impact in the hands too

grip change will fix it - the grip change will feel weird for a while - but if it's feels comfortable pretty quick you've likely gone back to the hold you have in the pics - just need to persevere with having the hold move in the fingers from the 'trigger' of the left index finger lower joint to run little ways diagonal so the top of the handle (but not very top good half inch handle to be seen out of the pinky side of the left hand) sits under the 'heel' pad of the palm

when taking the grip as described here & seen in the vid - once the handle is running in the left hand so hand feels little ways more 'on top' of the handle with the heel pad - important you close the fingers first off then close the palm to bring the thumb pad above the crease to be in contact with the handle - so the thumb is a little ways 'arched' pulled up back some.

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just an add-on - with the left lead hold the 'firm' part of the pressure (if 1=loose 6=strangle then firm pressure is at 3) is in the last 3 fingers of that hand to keep it firm under & against the palm heel pad - with the thumb & forefinger forming a trigger with no great pressure to either so no real 'squeeze' - but a 'short' thumb, thumb pad above the joint being in contact with the handle

so atop the swing that thumb pad is 'under' the handle with some support & the firm pressure of the last three fingers against the palm heel pad is still there so there's no 'movement'

lairdy5452

Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply coach!
That seems to make alot of sense, I do normally wear a glove, I just took it off for the photos to try to show the thumb positioning better. I also have had some trouble hinging and setting the wrist correctly, so once my hand heals up I will follow the video and hopefully it will help both issues.

Thank you!

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
As a tip to lessen the wear on the skin, a wrap of Zinc Oxide tape, and cover it with surgical tape (gloss finish) this will keep the heat and moisture down in the spot where the rubbing is taking place.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No idea how anyone swings with a seriously weak left hand. I am uber strong left and quite strong right. Weakening both feels awful me to me.