Bleeding golf instructors!

EastPreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I have just bought a new set of taylormade burner plus. I watched the David Leadbetter dvd's and can now hit straight 200 yarders with a 5 iron. But I went to a lesson and changed a few 'foundations' like grip, feet closer together, posture, etc.. Now I can't hit a damn ball straight..

He said its to get the base right, but I have a tournament on sunday for a new society I have just joined. I may need to use my old swing until then.

"If it's not broke, don't fix it" they say, even if it doesn't look as pretty as it could be?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just bought a new set of taylormade burner plus. I watched the David Leadbetter dvd's and can now hit straight 200 yarders with a 5 iron.

Holy Moly. If you did this on a set of clubs and a dvd, forget lessons. Forget your driver too, probably. Use that club and presumably straight 6/7/8/9/PW irons too and play to about 3 without trying.

EastPreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If you can hit a 5 iron 200 yards straight, why on earth do you want to change your swing?

Exactly my thought - But if I can hit it that far (50 yards further then my old swing) then how can he pick fault unless its "not how the pro's look when they do it"...

After the tournament - ill give it a go to see if the new tweaks help, but if not - tough..

I must admit I was getting a more consistant solid hit with the tweaks, but the direction was shocking and the distance wasn't as great..

EastPreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I have just bought a new set of taylormade burner plus. I watched the David Leadbetter dvd's and can now hit straight 200 yarders with a 5 iron.

Holy Moly. If you did this on a set of clubs and a dvd, forget lessons. Forget your driver too, probably. Use that club and presumably straight 6/7/8/9/PW irons too and play to about 3 without trying.

My 7 iron is at 150 yards. so is my 9iron... :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
In fairness to your Pro. I think they look at a swing and assess what is poor technique or leads to inconsistency. What I do know is that they are 99% spot on in choosing the 1 or 2 two things for you to work on, and if you can improve *that/those* thing you will ultimately hit it better. Trouble is you've got to see it through (like I've got to) and that means it's hard to hit the ball for a while.

EastPreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If you can hit a 5 iron 200 yards straight, why on earth do you want to change your swing? :D
200 yards is nothing massive, depends on the time of doing it and regularity...and reliability...

If he can teach me consistancy then no problem at all - I just don't want to do it like the pro's just because that's how they do it - It may not be achievable as we are all built different.

Of course I don't want to learn faults and then counterbalance faults with more faults.

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was having a bit of a session like that at the range the other day. Always start with a 7I and my good hits were rolling up to the 179 yard green. :eek: So were those with the 5I. And the 3I! :D Bit later on, the 9I was going maybe 150 yards...then so was the 7I!! :D :D

Stupid game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I prefer to measure my shots on the practice grounds using some old Titleist practice balls and my SC5. At least I know the balls will resemble what I'd use on the course and that the length will be pretty accurate. The only issue at the moment is measuring how far they are going on the fly and how much is roll

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find it hard to truely judge distance with range balls. Some go ok some not so ok ;)

Me too, it doesn't help that I can't see them land because the range is so flat. It would be nice to have some boards instead of flags, I used to like hitting the boards.

My range has blue posts and a flag at 100 yards. If I play a 1/2 SW at the flag it usually lands by it. That's not 100 yards, not with my game...... :eek:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was having a bit of a session like that at the range the other day. Always start with a 7I and my good hits were rolling up to the 179 yard green. :eek: So were those with the 5I. And the 3I! :D Bit later on, the 9I was going maybe 150 yards...then so was the 7I!! :D :D

Sometimes my 7 is 150, my 6 151 and my 5 152.......weird that. (slight artistic license.)

I took my 7 to the range t'other day and was almost up to the 175 flag, not quite, but close, not that I can see exactly. I was impressed....

until I realised I'd taken my 6 iron. :rolleyes: :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find that the longer the iron I'm using, the more distance I lose with a range ball.

I put it down to them being carp. Less speed off the face for the same swing, and less carry through the air because of the technology maybe??
Both of which would lose more distance on a faster lower flight.

At the range I can get to in my lunch hour, my 8 iron will generally roll up to the 150 green, but my 4 iron is a struggle to get past the 175.
All I look for now is the quality of the strike, and any sidespin.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find that the longer the iron I'm using, the more distance I lose with a range ball.

I put it down to them being carp.

I put it down to me being stih. :)

I'm happy to get 200 with a range ball (3 wood) but if I started only getting 200 on the course, I'd be miserable. I get at least 203 :)

EastPreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I find it hard to truely judge distance with range balls. Some go ok some not so ok ;)

The problem I have with the range is that the balls don't roll, they just plug. So when on the course, my 150 yard 7 iron may end up being further with roll.

I went to the tournament and played to 26 handicap, I have two games the sunday after next to complete my handicap.

I didn't play to bad, I always seem to play better towards the end - just relaxing more towards the end I guess.

I had a few balls lost due to tight dog-legs. I got caught in a bunker too which hurt my score a little.

I have just bought Phil Mickelson's DVD so I'll be practising that for a while me thinks...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you can hit a 5 iron straight consistenrtly 200yds then why are you going to a pro?

Most of the time a pro will try to teach you a sound, consistent swing that you can rely on under pressure.

My old swing was good enough to get to a decent standard but 9 times out of 10 it failed me towards the end of a round. You will almost inevitably play worse when changing your swing but you have to remember the reason you are going is to become more consistent and that doesn't happen over night.

If you're not going to follow his advice on Sunday then it seems an odd time to go for a lesson.