Blades

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right guys, this may seem like a stupid question, but last night at the range there is a bag with a load of old clubs in, I thought I would try out a blade as have never hit one before. It was a Taylormade TP (I think) 6 iron. Now I have heard that high handicappers like myself (20) would struggle to hit these type of clubs, however my first shot went long and straight with a hint of draw (i usually have a slight fade). I am now thinking about buying some second hand and as cheap as possible to see if I can get on with them. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most blades by Mizuno and Titleist are held in pretty high esteem by most.

But I'm not a blade expert. Someone will be along shortly to advise.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Any one can hit a bladed iron.

Any one having a good day can play an entire round with blades.

What seperates them out as being suitable only for good ball strikers is that you need to be able to play with them on a day when you are swinging like an idiot.

You will probably find the reason why you hit it well was concentration. If you hit your current clubs with this level of concentration, you would hit them better.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can afford to take a hit on them try them, you might get on with them and find you actually enjoy using them. Although as Murph says they can be a ba$tard on your bad days but after using mine for a almost a year now, and after listening to all the doom merchants telling me not to get them, I cant see myself using anything else (for a while).

You do have to be prepared to lose money though and if you can why not.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The brand and flex of the shaft will have a bigger effect on your shot than the head design, so providing you choose the shaft properly, I see no reason why the average player can't play decently with blades. A lot of players, including myself, don't like big thick top lined Callaway shovels, and prefer a more conventional design. My Mizunos are lovely clubs and I am very happy with them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The brand and flex of the shaft will have a bigger effect on your shot than the head design, so providing you choose the shaft properly, I see no reason why the average player can't play decently with blades. A lot of players, including myself, don't like big thick top lined Callaway shovels, and prefer a more conventional design. My Mizunos are lovely clubs and I am very happy with them.

What he said. ;)

Right guys, this may seem like a stupid question, but last night at the range there is a bag with a load of old clubs in, I thought I would try out a blade as have never hit one before. It was a Taylormade TP (I think) 6 iron. Now I have heard that high handicappers like myself (20) would struggle to hit these type of clubs, however my first shot went long and straight with a hint of draw (i usually have a slight fade). I am now thinking about buying some second hand and as cheap as possible to see if I can get on with them. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Our pro has got a big demo bag of them. He was selling them for £15. I would suggest get one and use that as much as possible in your rounds for a few weeks see how you get on on the course before getting a whole set.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had 2 range sessions with my Titliest ZB'S first one i was hitting them superb ,tonght a major dose of the shanks ,but when hit right they feel great.
First time on the course tomorow so the law of averages means i'll hit them well tomorrow.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the TP's and they aren't an out and out blade as they still have a small cavity back

These bad boys are proper blades

http://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-clubs/irons/MB.aspx

That's what the TM's looked like. Sure they were a full blade. Will go down there next week and have another look.

I have now been swayed towards the Mizzy MP range. Seeing if I can get them for a decent price.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That does look like a bargain, but don't have the money at the moment. Anyone heard of these though? Not a group I have heard of before but they seem pretty good judging by price searching on google.

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hopefully a decent bonus will be on it's way and I may invest in a set of these, even if I don't use them right away, can keep them for when I'm a better player. Anyone used Vega before?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the TP's and they aren't an out and out blade as they still have a small cavity back

These bad boys are proper blades

http://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-clubs/irons/MB.aspx

That's what the TM's looked like. Sure they were a full blade. Will go down there next week and have another look.

I have now been swayed towards the Mizzy MP range. Seeing if I can get them for a decent price.

Were these them

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_irons/taylormade/tp_mb_smoke_irons_golf_irons/p7831

I have the TP's that look like this with a cavity back
http://www.118golf.co.uk/Golf-Clubs-Iron...18bd4pd5171.htm