Black nickel - Wear on wedges

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I understand it's pretty common for the black nickel finish not to last as long as others but have question.

Here's a picture of the sole on my wedge:

image.jpg

The wedge has worn in a very specific spot due to impacting the turf. The wear is pretty central to the middle of the face which I would expect as I was fitted for them at the start of last year (February).

The face has also taken some punishment, yet the amount of wear isn't as severe as the sole, which appears to be wearing through to the bare steel underneath.

Is this kind of sole wear unusual to to be expected after (circa) 15 months of use in this finish?

I've never had black nickel finish wedges/clubs before so unsure as to what is correct/acceptable and not as they begin to wear.

Thanks in advance :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Guess the length the finish stays nice will also depend on the amount used - if its a regular usage then it wont stay shiny for too long - 18months would be a good length

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand it's pretty common for the black nickel finish not to last as long as others but have question.

Here's a picture of the sole on my wedge:

View attachment 10784

The wedge has worn in a very specific spot due to impacting the turf. The wear is pretty central to the middle of the face which I would expect as I was fitted for them at the start of last year (February).

The face has also taken some punishment, yet the amount of wear isn't as severe as the sole, which appears to be wearing through to the bare steel underneath.

Is this kind of sole wear unusual to to be expected after (circa) 15 months of use in this finish?

I've never had black nickel finish wedges/clubs before so unsure as to what is correct/acceptable and not as they begin to wear.

Thanks in advance :thup:
I'm guessing your 58* is your bunker club around the greens? The sand strips wedges very quickly. Just something you have to learn to live with.
My 60* Jaws wedge has worn down just like that….on a chrome finished one too boot.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Black nickel is a plated finish (similar to chrome) which inevitably wears off through time. Wedges are more likely to have sole wear in addition to face wear due to the nature of them being used in sand for example and other less than ideal lies. Anyone who has ever owned nice forged irons and wedges form Mizuno will be all too familiar with worn faces and "browning" (rusting) over time - black nickel is no different and quite commonplace. Carry on playing them as it doesn't make too much difference - only to the OCD lol. Wear marks are almost like a badge of honour amongst forged fans - the smaller the face area the better though!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Black nickel is a plated finish (similar to chrome) which inevitably wears off through time.

well it will wear through wear - leave it in the closet and time is irrelevant.

but I agree what I thing you are trying to say! It's a surface finish; it will wear - the end.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
well it will wear through wear - leave it in the closet and time is irrelevant.

but I agree what I thing you are trying to say! It's a surface finish; it will wear - the end.

Well actually, if you accelerate the club head to 88mph, it will travel back in time and the finish will be restored. Oh - and you need 1.21 gigawatts of electricity.