Black Iron Shafts

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Not new but noticed on more and more of WITB's from the pro's they are using black shafts in their irons?

Such as the X100 TI Black Onyx is a common choice..

What's the general consensus? Trend or genuine advantages such as glare reduction etc? Or tacky?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have black KBS shafts in my Cobras. They are a pvd finish, and from my experience, pvd is not a robust finish. To me, it's gimmicky, and will look very tatty, very quickly. My 6i already has some marks where the bag rubs.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve never once suffered from glare from my iron shafts so presume this is a gimmick made to differentiate

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Must admit haven't given it much thought, although I did see the Cobra one lengths in black with the black shafts and they look very cool.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I’ve got black $tapers in my irons and really like them

But would you still like them in chrome?

I have black limited edition Japanese market CT95s, but they are still wearing badly. Lovely shafts, but the black isn't going to last.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
They look good, but its basically just done to sell them at a premium price. Not sure I'd pay more for the same product, but hey people pay more for a certain colour car, or a different colour interior. The black shafts do tend to show their age rather quickly from what I've seen.