Beware the curse of a lesson

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I am suffering big time today. I had my first game of golf in about 3 weeks yesterday, having spent most of those 3 weeks looking forward to it!

However, the last time I had played was an hour's lesson on Jan 2 (my first instruction for 6 years!) and I spent the entire round in dire straits, wondering whether to implement all the changes or whether just to try and forget it all and go back to normal... the end result was a pretty miserable round, full of fats, thins and flippin slices!

I did then go and spend 2 hours on a great grass range (and think i have sorted it!) but I spent the whole round thinking I had spent £30 to ruin my golfing pleasure and destroy my swing and confidence.

Is it ever worth getting a lesson in isolation?

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
Its always worth getting a lesson just to sort out the little niggles in your swing.

I had some major problems and in one half hour lesson my pro got my backswing on the right path and with a few baskets of balls it has got grooved into a whole swing.

Lessons are all psychological I think, you feel better straight after one becasue someone who knows what they are on about tells you that you can play, with a little bit of work gives you the confidence. It certainly did me and I am striking it really well at the moment.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've never had a one-on-one lesson but I play a lot with the assistant at my club. He gives me the odd piece of choice advice and I find that really helpful. I really wouldn't want my head to be swimming with loads of different changes I need to make. I think a good lesson should give you one fundamental thing to concentrate and work on.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best lesson I had was from a pro who would only let me learn one thing at a time then the next week he would make me practice something else.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Trueblue, any lesson is good but you have to accept that it will take weeks to incorporate even the smallest of changes so don't go beating yourself up on your first attempt. Unfortunately any changes will generally result in a short term drop in form, but now is still a good time to do this... given that you went for a lesson what was your problem in the first place?

BFR

Visit site
ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE A LESSON,MY PRO SPOTTED MY PROBLEM STRAIGHT AWAY, I WAS STANDING TO CLOSE TO THE BALL ..... AFTER I'D HIT IT. BUT SERIOUSLY HE IMPROVED MY SWING AND CUT OUT A LOT MY SLICE, NOT COMPLETELY BUT I NOW HIT AT LEAST 50% OF FAIRWAYS. NOW I NEED TO IMPROVE MY DISTANCE SO BACK FOR ANOTHER LESSON SOON

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Was playing the worst golf of my life about 5 years ago, tried everything myself, but it just got worst. My head was in bits and even (God forgive me) looked at fishing tackle. So went to see the pro for first ever lesson. At the range warmed up with my normal fat shanks, topped slices and pulled skies. Then the pro arrived, we talked briefly about the problems then he said hit some balls. Nervous with him watching, took deep breath, drew the club back and hit a fantastic penetrating draw with that click off the cluface you only hear from tour pros. Where to £$*& did that come from. Hit another and another and another. Pretty soon the lesson was over, i was cured, it was only a blip. Now i was back, ready to take on the world. Shook the pros hand and he departed, leaving me with about ten balls left. Thought might as well hit them, as i was awesome. Drew the club back, duck hook, then shank then topped. I hate this game, pass me the angling times!!! Enjoy your lesson!

B

birdieman

I had the shanks really bad and struggled away reading books and trying to self-analyse for about half the season in 2004. I finally went to a PGA Pro and literally within 2 minutes he had me sorted re balance and ball position and plane of club, I couldn't understand why I didn't go sooner. Now I generally take 1 lesson per year just to get the swing looked at professionally. My pitching confidence, destroyed by fear of shanking, quickly returned and now I can stand over an 80 yard pitch and feel confident to hit at the flag. If I do hit a hosel-rocket it is a one-off, not every short iron shot as it was once. Dont buy £300 drivers, gadgets, DVD's and books -spend the money on a few lessons instead -it really is worth it.