Better ball striking drils

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok, so had my lesson today and finally know what was causing my hook and inaccuracy with my irons and after a couple of hours on the range I fee better about the swing changes. It will still take a few weeks to be second nature I'm sure!

But I want to try and get more consistant strikes, I hardly ever take divots I more like skim the club along the floor, I know people say hit down on the ball but are there any drills? I don't want to start attacking the ball too steeply. How do you get better striking?

I was thinking about looking at the other side of the ball during the swing, as in the one closest to the target to try and hit through the ball... no idea if it will work though.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was reading an old GM top 25 coaches section a while back.

I think it was Neil Plimmer who suggested putting a tee in the ground, in front of the ball, and focus on hitting the tee out of the turf.

For me, I found working on a better weight transfer helped with my ball striking.

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, basically its all down to my aim. He asked me to aim for the clubhouse chimney, so I set up and he marked the club. I stepped back and I was aiming about 30 yards left of the target! So basically I was kind of correcting my miss alignment by trying to drag the ball right.

Once set up properly I was still hitting it a little right as anything different felt wrong, i then tried to swing and almost push the ball out the left, as in through to 1 on a clock face, and they were going straight. It felt really weird though as it feels I'm blocking out to the left but they are going stright.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to struggle with a lack of divot and its still my key thought. I am working on staying down on the ball - so that I see the club hit the ball.
A good weight shift is also required.
I do not think you will come down too steep unles you have the ball too far back in your stance for the club you are using. Having said that, do check your ball position is not too far forward as the oppposite happens (shallow approach and no divot).
Hit of grass when practicing. I think hitting off of mats didnt help me.