Best / Worst / Most iconic drivers of all time

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
There’s no wrong answer on this thread!

Best- Ping K15 driver. Not the longest driver by any stretch, but if you slice this, you shouldn’t be hitting the big stick. I’ve owned this 3 times and I might buy another to stick in the shed for when the slice comes back.

Worst- Nike SQ Sumo. WTF

Iconic- 90s Big Bertha. The driver my old man wanted but could never afford, bless him.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
These are for me...

Best - new Mavrik sub zero. Love it.

Worst - Callaway FT3 I bought on a whim.

Iconic - Wilson fat shaft driver. My first "big" driver. Cost £80 and I hit some big drives with that compared to my previous driver.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best - Cobra F8. Very forgiving

Worst - TM rbz. Felt cheap and ballooned in the air.

Iconic - none. Have only had 3 drivers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Best: Ping G25 - Solid and (mostly) dependable

Worse: Nike SQ Sumo - the noise it made was dreadful especially if someone near you was using it at a range

Iconic: TM Burner - one of the first and the one that really set that first bar

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best Ping G400 , Worst Wilson spine , like hitting a ball with a frying pan, Iconic Cobra fly-Z, first driver I ever managed to hit properly.

D

Deleted member 18588

Best: MacGregor Eye-o-matic. Truly a thing of beauty.

Worst: Cobra something or other, all I recall is the offensive noise it made.

Iconic: Taylormade Pittsburgh Persimmon. It changed everything.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
This makes me realise I've had far too many drivers over the years.

Best: Mavrik Sub Zero (Newness hasn't worn off yet but the only driver ever I haven't spun too much its a bullet).

Worst: Cobra SZ400 Unlimited. It would deafen everybody in a 2 mile range, had 9 sweet spots I think and what makes it the worse is that the pro managed to sell me a 7 degree and 9 degree (my old man took the 9 off my hand) only for them to be illegal only weeks later and I had no clue :ROFLMAO: and had to manage with a 3 wood for a season as my sub minimum wage couldn't save up in time as a junior.

Iconic: Probably the 90's big bertha. My dad had a full set of big bertha woods and irons and quit golf which I then adopted, the driver just seemed to be one of the clubs that everyone liked.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed that any of them old frying pan cobras are the worst drivers of all time.

My cousin still uses one and it winds me up no end listening to it as he pings it unbelievably straight over and over.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The King Cobra 470 ? :confused:, HIGH CORE with the trampoline face, it gave me at least an extra 30 yards [ almost 200 yrds downwind:cry: ]

Disgraceful, that after 2/3 years of manufacturing , it was declared non conforming by the R&A for all golfers in official comps.
Imagine banning a car that's been in production for 2/3 years selling 100s of 1000s + then saying sorry but you can no longer drive your car on main roads
PS sorry but there's no refund.:mad::mad:.

Last edited:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
The King Cobra 470cc, HIGH CORE with the trampoline face, it gave me at least an extra 30 yards [ almost 200 yrds downwind:cry: ]

Disgraceful, that after 2/3 years of manufacturing , it was declared non conforming by the R&A for all golfers in official comps.
Imagine banning a car that's been in production for 2/3 years selling 100s of 1000s + then saying sorry but you can no longer drive your car on main roads

I got diddled with the 2 of them! And a full set of cleveland wedges which had zip grooves and were non conforming. I swear the pro targeted me with non conforming products !

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Best: Callaway Epic flash sub Z.

Worst: Wilson fat shaft 7 degree.

Most Iconic: Titleist 905R. Still the best looking driver ever made. Bung in a Grafalloy prolite stiff, znd it's a proper beast.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best for me is undoubtedly the one I have now, Ping G410 SFT. I'm just hitting so many fairways with that thing at the moment it feels like I can do no wrong.

For the amount of people who had one or still have one, you have to say the TM M2 is one of the iconic drivers. I never hit one but it must have something about it to be so popular. Iconic look as well with it's half white crown.

Worst, going by looks, I don't think I ever could have hit one of those square ones. Just so hideous and off-putting. Worst I actually had was maybe the Yonex Nanospeed that I bought off Ebay for 40 quid ages ago - in fairness it wasn't too bad to hit but it made the most horrendous tinny noise which was not great on the ears. Funnily enough though I gave my dad a lend of it and he hit it so well he gave me my 40 quid back for it!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
The King Cobra 470 ? :confused:, HIGH CORE with the trampoline face, it gave me at least an extra 30 yards [ almost 200 yrds downwind:cry: ]

There’s one in my shed - I binned it and then the missus used it for a year or so - she loved it and was raging when they banned it - I never got on with it at the time but think I’ll retrieve it for a hit - just for fun and the ridiculous noise - pretty sure you could generate sparks if there was sand on the tee.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agreed that any of them old frying pan cobras are the worst drivers of all time.
Certainly the worst sounding of all time! Though the first time I heard a Nike Sumo was in a driving range in Edinburgh and it sounded (and looked!) horrendous from about 10 bays away!
TM 510TP gets my vote for most iconic - certainly for the pre-adjustable era! Just pips the Adams 9015D (on popularity) that was a 'personal favourite'!

D

Deleted member 16999

The Taylormade R7, the first adjustable driver. I had a few versions of this & eventually concluded that moving the weights around didn't make much difference.
Still got one in my shed, lad off scratch at our place still uses one!