I cannot tame my driver (TM Burner super fast 2.0)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've never had such a problem with any club, and never swapped out anything as i'm too stubborn! How likely will American golf will be to let me loose with a few of their drivers? I wouldn't buy anything till mine had sold. I think i should be looking for something a bit more head heavy if that makes sense, and regular sized? Is that what you would suggest?

Nothing wrong with being, at least a bit, stubborn. But you have already 'given up' on this club by going back to the old W302, then the Hybrid! So go try the AG (used) ones and put this 'failure' down to experience. You may not even suffer for it if you Ebay it now! Good thing is that you've reduced the likelihood of you or your PPs/FCs developing tinnitus by selling the Nike!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Quick update, i went to AG to check out some shaft options, talk about getting it cut down. I ended up trying about 15 drivers and came out with a Benross RIP Speed 2 10º Driver. Never heard of it before, but it's a great club! Will report when i get it on the course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Quick update, i went to AG to check out some shaft options, talk about getting it cut down. I ended up trying about 15 drivers and came out with a Benross RIP Speed 2 10º Driver. Never heard of it before, but it's a great club! Will report when i get it on the course.

Seems just the sort you need!

Hope it goes well!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did you trade the TM in against the Benross? Personally I would have had a lesson or two first with the Burner and seen if I could get it away. Either way, as long as you are happy and start finding more fairways again then money well spent. That will get your confidence back and confidence breeds confidence

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
...Nike 5900 SQ Sumo...

You've received some good advice in this thread, but I just though I'd highlight something nobody else has. You've gone from what was / is considered one of the most accurate and consistent drivers of all time to... well... one that absolutely isn't.

The 5900, whilst a horrendous sounding, horrendous looking and comparatively short driver (all IMO), was phenomenally accurate. I'm not a good driver of the ball but even in my hands I was confident I could drive the ball pretty much anywhere I wanted with it (aim wise, not distance wise). The issue for me was that it didn't give me the distance I was looking for so it was eventually sold on eBay and my search to find a driver that allowed me hit the ball as far as Bubba Watson foolishly continued.

I've also owned a Superfast 2.0; it was as long as anything I've hit on the good shots, but I found it an incredibly difficult club to control. Yes the shaft was very long and I imagine it was made on a very tight TM budget (the big shaft debate was in its comparative infancy at that time so stock shafts were often rather poor), neither of which will have helped with accuracy IMO (I play my current driver at 44.5", as opposed to the 46"+ of the Superfast 2.0).

I see you've now got the Benross, which I gather you've hit on the launch monitor and liked the numbers, so hopefully you're now good to go!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
You've received some good advice in this thread, but I just though I'd highlight something nobody else has. You've gone from what was / is considered one of the most accurate and consistent drivers of all time to... well... one that absolutely isn't.

The 5900, whilst a horrendous sounding, horrendous looking and comparatively short driver (all IMO), was phenomenally accurate. I'm not a good driver of the ball but even in my hands I was confident I could drive the ball pretty much anywhere I wanted with it (aim wise, not distance wise). The issue for me was that it didn't give me the distance I was looking for so it was eventually sold on eBay and my search to find a driver that allowed me hit the ball as far as Bubba Watson foolishly continued.

I've also owned a Superfast 2.0; it was as long as anything I've hit on the good shots, but I found it an incredibly difficult club to control. Yes the shaft was very long and I imagine it was made on a very tight TM budget (the big shaft debate was in its comparative infancy at that time so stock shafts were often rather poor), neither of which will have helped with accuracy IMO (I play my current driver at 44.5", as opposed to the 46"+ of the Superfast 2.0).

I see you've now got the Benross, which I gather you've hit on the launch monitor and liked the numbers, so hopefully you're now good to go!

Sadly i didn't have use of a launch monitor i'm not sure anywhere locally that does have one. But I'm not chasing numbers, i understand at a higher level it's needed. But my only concern at the moment is keeping it on the right part of the fairway, something which the old Nike did consistently for 6 years.

I had no idea about it being so well regarded in that aspect, I try to look at reviews and such, but I do massively take them with a pinch of salt, every review seems to have younger kids saying they hit it 500 yards on a sixpence. But it's something i definitely thought myself with that club.

With the Burner, i was drawn into the marketing and the pretty colours. I'm sure for some people it's a great club. (most likely people alot better than me!) But I hit ALOT of range balls, and i never thought i was improving with it, i always thought, i'll get used to this soon. And it never happened. As stated before i never give up with kit. I'm using r7 TP irons, which i know are wrong for me, would my scores drop if i changed to something a bit more forgiving? Probably, but i've hit so many balls with these i can move the ball left and right, sure i miss the middle occasionally and one falls short, but it's me to blame. No point blaming the clubs and getting something easier to hit!

With this new Benross, i'm genuinely flabbergasted. I had my eyes set on A covert 2.0 or I25. Having never heard of this brand before, i can't believe how good this club feels in my hands, and the confidence it inspires. The Adila ADX 65 shaft is something that seems to be working for me very well. I know if i used a launch monitor, it wouldn't be the right club. As my conservative swing speed for tight fairways is too low, and as such the flight isn't great. But it brings back confidence I had with my old Nike. Some thing i'd thought i'd lost!

Maiken

Hacker
Visit site
Took me a year after first buying a Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 before I could hit it properly. the solution is easy 340 odd days of trying to make it work then 2 lessons showed where my swing was going wrong and have hit it fine ever since!