Best time to buy irons?

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In the market for some new irons but before I splash the cash does anyone know when the likely price drops occur and when the new sets are due.
Don’t want to spend on a new set then a few months down the line a new set is out and they’ve been put in the sale .

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
you'll get the usual people along soon that say "if you they suit you why wait just buy them" but personally if i knew an iron suited me and it was coming to end of line i would wait and save a few hundred pounds.

in answer to your question, all different manufacturers have different launch dates so it depends on whag your looking at. most irons are renewed every 18 months to 2 years

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can wait until the new models come out, but then manufacturers do not normally give custom fitting support to the old set as they want you to buy the latest model. If your good with something pretty much off the shelf with a standard grip then you can save some money with last years model.

But remember if you need to start having them lengthened and different grips put on then what you saved is going to be spent on that.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Have a budget. Get the best irons for your game within that budget. Don’t wait around as a newly launched set won’t be cheaper than its predecessor. Don’t be a cheap skate either and think you’re going to get on for under £600 for new irons these days. Personally second hand irons won’t be my thing as I will always have to get them reshafted to suit my physique and swing.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a budget. Get the best irons for your game within that budget. Don’t wait around as a newly launched set won’t be cheaper than its predecessor. Don’t be a cheap skate either and think you’re going to get on for under £600 for new irons these days. Personally second hand irons won’t be my thing as I will always have to get them reshafted to suit my physique and swing.

The only thing that would help your physique and swing is Harry Potter' wand in the heads:thup:

D

Deleted member 23270

There is no guarantee that a new model will perform any better than the previous set so just go ahead, choose what you like and get them when you are ready.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no guarantee that a new model will perform any better than the previous set so just go ahead, choose what you like and get them when you are ready.
Yep.

There's also not a huge guarantee that a discontinued line will be any cheaper the day it's discontinued - or that you will be able to get them new! SH sets of the latest moder will always be around (from the day they hit the shelves).

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep.

There's also not a huge guarantee that a discontinued line will be any cheaper the day it's discontinued - or that you will be able to get them new! SH sets of the latest moder will always be around (from the day they hit the shelves).

ap2 718 where released and the 716 model went from £850 to £500 overnight. 3 months later £400. if you know the 716 where a good club for you and you knew the release of the 718 was imminent, why wouldn't you hold on and save a fortune.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best time to buy irons is when you are playing well.
Your fitting is more realistic if you are hitting the ball good.

Money wise there’s lots of bargains to be had if you know your specs.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
ap2 718 where released and the 716 model went from £850 to £500 overnight. 3 months later £400. if you know the 716 where a good club for you and you knew the release of the 718 was imminent, why wouldn't you hold on and save a fortune.

If you knew all of those things then of course you would/should.

The majority of my point was vested in the "yep" response to Daves post pretty much says exactly that.

The rest is a codicil; which can apply, but obviously doesn't always. You picked an example which illustrates the real issue very well. I hope you will agree that the discounting of the old model price (or otherwise) is generally a function of the markets acceptance/judgement of the relative performance (and desirability) of the new model relative to the previous one.

The bigger the perceived improvement the larger the discounting.

If you accept that the suitability for most individuals will be significantly associated with the manufacturer and range there must be an argument that, knowing anndrgument the information in your statement, you should I mediate lyrics buy the existing model second hand, and sell it ahead of the announcement of the new model to fund your purchase of that one (and repeat). That way you are always going to be playing the best, most suitable, club available rather than always playing second best. The net cost would be similar over the long term, although you would have slightly more invested at any point.

Personally I generally play 5 year + old models because I'm too old to care what others think and have finally accepted that I will always be a handicap golfer so why spend money on playing to a slightly lower handicap with the same success rate....(sacrilege I appreciate!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having recently acquired a set of Ping I series irons that were unmarked (they looked absolutely pristine) for half the cost they are still retailing for online via Golfbidder I'm now a firm believer that if you are in the market for clubs and don't wan't to go down the custom fit road, there are some real bargains to be had in the second hand market. I'm not sure, but wonder if when a new range comes out, whether there is a spike in the current models becoming available on Golfbidder and other similar sets.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me personally, I tend to buy a lot of my stuff in the AG Outlet store (second hand), so that means the best time to buy is when they've just had a double trade-in as their stock of second hand gear is much higher.

If you're buying new though, I don't really know. Just try not to buy a range that is due to be superseded in like a month's time because it'd be worth waiting for the price drop then.