Best iron striking tips

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The head has to move away a bit to the right on the backswing.
It is more appropriate to say don't let you head move in front of the ball on contact, or even keep your nose behind the ball at any point in the swing.

So your advice to someone who is duffing his irons is
''don't let you head move in front of the ball on contact, or even keep your nose behind the ball at any point in the swing.''

Unbelievable

Any thoughts, any simple tips for a repeatable iron swing…..

The head is attached to the top of the spine.
The top of the spine is the top of the pendulum.
The clubhead is the bottom of the pendulum.
If the top of the pendulum doesn't sway, the bottom of the pendulum MUST return to its starting point.
Therefor producing a more consistent impact position and improved contact.
Keep your head still and the top of the pendulum won't change

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the help, went out for 7 holes while the boy was at scouts and what a difference 2 days makes, in fairness it’s being longer than that but I used a couple of tips from on here and ended up 3 over through 1-6 and the 10th, irons were a lovely height and totally effortless, feeling great about it as I was in a bad place ?
There was a pair in front so I was hitting second shots in just so I wasn’t on top off them and the results were the same so hopefully I’ve found something going forward, Cheers ???

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the help, went out for 7 holes while the boy was at scouts and what a difference 2 days makes, in fairness it’s being longer than that but I used a couple of tips from on here and ended up 3 over through 1-6 and the 10th, irons were a lovely height and totally effortless, feeling great about it as I was in a bad place ?
There was a pair in front so I was hitting second shots in just so I wasn’t on top off them and the results were the same so hopefully I’ve found something going forward, Cheers ???
Also confidence counts for a lot in golf.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Back to poor iron play again today ☹️
Heading back to work tomorrow so will get a lesson sorted out and do some grinding at the range.

Reactions: sjw

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As well as keeping your head, still concentrate on your balance.
Balance is a word seldom used in golf instruction yet it is key to hitting good repetitive shots.
A lot of bodyweight is in your head and it is stuck at the top of your body

evemccc

Visit site
As well as keeping your head, still concentrate on your balance.
Balance is a word seldom used in golf instruction yet it is key to hitting good repetitive shots.
A lot of bodyweight is in your head and it is stuck at the top of your body

This is so accurate for me…

If I hit a good shot I notice I am perfectly balanced at the end of my follow-through and stroke

If I hit a poor one I am usually falling to the side or forward…I now focus solely on being balanced at the end of my follow through —- the idea being that in order to reach that stage I will have previously done all the other things correctly in my swing

It’s harder than it seems it should be for me to reach a state of perfect balance ?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had that lesson last night, well worth it, was coming out of the heel on a constant basis.
Couple of we tweaks at set up and amazing the difference.
I've got the videos now, so will get working on trying to make it a second nature set up.
Hopefully I can start to put some decent rounds together, starting on Saturday.

evemccc

Visit site
Had that lesson last night, well worth it, was coming out of the heel on a constant basis.
Couple of we tweaks at set up and amazing the difference.
I've got the videos now, so will get working on trying to make it a second nature set up.
Hopefully I can start to put some decent rounds together, starting on Saturday.

Can I ask specifically what were the set-up changes?

For me I have been working on standing more upright and closer to the ball and not leaning forward mid-swing, in order to improve contact and balance in follow through

It felt weird at first and I’m still very capable of hitting bad shots / poor contact, but I’m getting there I think…when they’re good they’re really good ????

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Can I ask specifically what were the set-up changes?

For me I have been working on standing more upright and closer to the ball and not leaning forward mid-swing, in order to improve contact and balance in follow through

It felt weird at first and I’m still very capable of hitting bad shots / poor contact, but I’m getting there I think…when they’re good they’re really good ????
Basically what you’ve said yourself ??
I was leaning to far forward for my irons, yet for my hybrids my set up was good.
Was flushing them in the end which makes you feel the lesson was fully worth it.
He also sends me videos off my good stuff and a checklist to ingrain what I’m doing, just basic stuff so no real swing thoughts.