Best Gross Prize in Stableford!!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I know but apparently one was awarded in last years Captains Day.
So... can it be done? & if it can be engineered....
Should it be done?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not have one if everything is holed out. How could it be engineered?

A gross 71 was 3rd at ours the other week in our midweek stableford comp.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have a gross prize every comp. If it stableford, then it is the most points scored with no handicap applied. Seems a non-issue to me since we've being doing this for decades.

It is up to those with plus handicaps to remember to putt out for bogey on the holes where they add a shot for handicap, even though it will be zero points in the nett comp.

wjemather

Visit site
Yeah I know but apparently one was awarded in last years Captains Day.
So... can it be done? & if it can be engineered....
Should it be done?
I'd guess it's not particularly common to have gross prizes in Stableford, but why would you think it cannot (or should not) be done? It's simply a case of assessing points based on no handicaps; there's no engineering required since competition software includes this functionality.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I played in a seniors open (individual stableford scores) last year where it was advertised that there was a gross prize.

I was very puzzled after the game to find out that the gross prize applied only if you putted out every hole and was awarded as a medal round in that case.

That is the only time I've ever known that to happen. Can't think why they made such a stipulation when the comp was a stableford.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have won best gross in a Stableford comp where I play. Bumper pay day because I won best stableford score as well.

Easy to work out with modern computer systems.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I think the apparent need for this thread is due to the "stableford thinking" that I have described in other threads.

If your predominant thoughts are about your golf score (gross score) then applying stableford points to that gross score seems very straightforward and uncomplicated.

We had gross prizes in stablefords before computerised comps. Back then I don't believe anyone was a "stableford thinker".

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easy to work out with modern computer systems.[/QUOTE]
I'd guess it's not particularly common to have gross prizes in Stableford, but why would you think it cannot (or should not) be done? It's simply a case of assessing points based on no handicaps; there's no engineering required since competition software includes this functionality.[/QUOTE]
Does it?.... I've run a printout of a Stableford Comp on our V1 & asking for a Gross result merely ranks players according to their recorded grosses allocating a 0 where they've 'picked up' & so giving a false list. Or have I missed something here?

wjemather

Visit site
Does it?.... I've run a printout of a Stableford Comp on our V1 & asking for a Gross result merely ranks players according to their recorded grosses allocating a 0 where they've 'picked up' & so giving a false list. Or have I missed something here?
That's correct - the gross result printout shows Stableford points based on gross hole scores; and if you pick up that's zero points. What were you expecting?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's correct - the gross result printout shows Stableford points based on gross hole scores; and if you pick up that's zero points. What were you expecting?
The impossible, it would seem. :oops: The player with the best Gross Score over 18 holes?
However, it beginning to look like you'd then have to go through the cards to see who didn't pick-up. I guess I'm just thinking aloud. :rolleyes: Sorry if its deafening :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

wjemather

Visit site
The impossible, it would seem. :oops: The player with the best Gross Score over 18 holes?
However, it beginning to look like you'd then have to go through the cards to see who didn't pick-up. I guess I'm just thinking aloud. :rolleyes: Sorry if its deafening :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ah, I see. You are trying to get a regular stroke play (aka medal) result from a Stableford competition. As you've discovered, operating two different scoring systems simultaneously can create problems!!

Swango1980

Visit site

Pick up on all 18 scores to get an unbeatable gross score of 0 :)

D

Deleted member 31467

Of course it can be done, Wallasey runs a scratch stableford event every year.

IanMcC

Visit site
We have one for every midweek stableford in the summer. The software sorts it all out, but its simply the best stableford score with no handicap allowances.