Best golf film?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Bit of a debate going on, although nothing to compare with the “spirit of the game” debate below. What’s the best golf film ever made?

We have it as a close run thing between Caddy Shack and Happy Gilmore.

For me Caddy Shack just wins thanks to Carl the green keeper.

Any other nominations?

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You're right. It is a close one but I've got to agree with you. Caddyshack just sneaks it. Spalding's my favourite plus this bit:

Danny Noonan: I haven't told him about the scholarship I didn't get. I'll be working in a lumber yard for the rest of my life.

Ty Webb: What's wrong with lumber? I own two lumber yards.

Danny: I notice you don't spend much time there.

Ty: I'm not sure where they are.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Happy Gilmore is a top top film though - when he fights the quiz master at the pro-am....quality!

Tap-Tap tappity....classic!!

Get's my vote but Rene Russo does help Tin Cup!!!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Favourit caddy shack quote has to be carl talking about the grass:

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Ledgend! He's no Rene Russo though

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Happy Gimore wins for me. My favourite quote?

Shooter: Just stay out of my way or you'll pay, listen to what I say.

Happy Gilmore: Hey, why don't I just go and eat some hay. I can lay by the bay, make things out of clay, I just may, what'd ya say?

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have to agree that Caddyshack has to be my favourite, although Happy Gilmor runs a close second.

I love the bit in Happy Gilmor where Adam Sandler hires a tramp to be his caddy and the tramp promptly picks up the coin on the green when his opponent marks his ball. Classic.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
Legend of Bagger Vance is he best golf film by far. The genius of the caddy i great and shows just how much work they do on the course but off iot as well.

Happy Gilmore isnt bad and can be quite funny but Bagger gets my vote.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Legend of Bagger Pants! more like. What a boring film, I nearly went into a coma watching it. Caddyshack is king.