Best courses to play

D

Deleted member 1147

For goodness sake! I was talking about the list, not what you said. ?
It’s hard to tell on here!
There are so many people who take a course recommendation as sacrosanct that’s it’s impossible to tell if you’ve pissed someone off or not.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There are great courses on the list, but like Eric Morcambe's piano playing, not necessarily in the right order.

The old course is a must play.

Other's that might not be up as far as they should, for me, Royal Troon, Panmure, Jubilee course, Kilspindie, Gullane 2 or 3, Southerness and Dunbar (my personal favourite of course).
It also depends what is meant by a 'great' course! I suspect the OP is looking for 'grand' courses and only Royal Troon would seem to be one of those - though the others on your list that I've played (not played Southerness, but only heard positive vibes) were all a joy to play, albeit for different reasons! Gullane 2 & 3 makes a great day, as does Kilspindie if combined with Craigielaw. The others are simply (?!) 'classic' links courses. The Old Course is indeed a 'must play' but I don't rate it as the best there - my preference is The New over Old with my experience of Jubilee tainted somewhat by it's scruffy condition on the day I played it.

So for 'grand' courses, I'd suggest Kaz's list - plus Gleneagles Kings (and Queens in the same day if poss) - would be the better one to follow. I agree with you that Dunbar is 'a favourite' that I'd be happy to play every day - as I did with Craigielaw for months when I was able. But the only courses I played in East Lothian that I'd consider 'grand' (Rennaissance was only being built when I worked in Scotland, so can't comment/opine) were Muirfield and Gullane #1. Aberdeen was as far north as I got, so bear that in mind also.

G1z1

Visit site
Wow I seriously didn’t realise there was so many great courses in Scotland. My shortlist for this year is get down to trump ailsa makes the most sense since ive played the other two in Scotland and really enjoyed the stay over as well. Then the old course st andrews but isn't that a course you can’t just turn up and pay ? I am sure someone told me a while ago that its some sort of ballot system? Then i will play gleneagles kings and queens ill do a overnight and play one on each day.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really do not get why North Berwick is so highly rated.
It must be the setting/views that fools folk and not the individual holes.
There is about 4 or 5 good holes and about 4 or 5 daft historic ones.
The rest are pretty average if you transported them to a different setting.

AliMc

Visit site
I really do not get why North Berwick is so highly rated.
It must be the setting/views that fools folk and not the individual holes.
There is about 4 or 5 good holes and about 4 or 5 daft historic ones.
The rest are pretty average if you transported them to a different setting.
It's a decent enough golf course that's sits in a very desirable town where house prices are always amongst the highest in Scotland, I always enjoy playing there, have had 2 holes in one there and some good scores but it simply isn't good enough to be ranked so highly in the various listings imho, a lot of people in East Lothian think that the course reviewers must be treated very well when they visit despite what they say? the general feeling amongst golfers around here in my experience is that it is way overrated

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a decent enough golf course that's sits in a very desirable town where house prices are always amongst the highest in Scotland, I always enjoy playing there, have had 2 holes in one there and some good scores but it simply isn't good enough to be ranked so highly in the various listings imho, a lot of people in East Lothian think that the course reviewers must be treated very well when they visit despite what they say? the general feeling amongst golfers around here in my experience is that it is way overrated

IMVHO Dunbar [old], Longniddry and Gullane 2 are more enjoyable East Lothian courses to play than North Berwick.

sunshine

Visit site
That website is based on public reviews. You get great courses being slagged off by 28hcppers that lost a dozen balls because they were way out of their depth. Use it purely as a rough guide.

No! The rankings are not based on the reviews, rather a range of factors (it’s explained on the website) including other ranking lists and the reviews.

D

Deleted member 23270

No! The rankings are not based on the reviews, rather a range of factors (it’s explained on the website) including other ranking lists and the reviews.
Have you read the criteria? It says they have more than 10,000 reviewers and anyone can sign up and post 'reviews' ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've always been put off playing the top courses because I don't think I'm a good enough player to get the enjoyment out of it. I often think I'd rather play an OK course and go round in 85-90 than play a cracker and take over 100. Do you enjoy these top courses if they beat you up?

One birdie on one hole can make your day, or parring the 18th at Carnoustie.

D

Deleted member 23270

ok don’t bother reading, just believe what you want. It’s your truth :LOL: have you considered a career in politics?
I'm struggling to work out which part of their criteria below you don't understand :unsure: Read the second paragraph.

Edit....I've just created an account and submitted a review. Like I said, anyone can do it. My 4 ball review changed the overall ranking of the course.

1632668081077.png

Last edited by a moderator: