Best Course You Have Played This Year

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The season is all but done so as per the title, which is the best course you have played this year? It might be your home course, or an old favourite, or as in my case, a new one.

Mine was Cavendish near Buxton. A MacKenzie course, I loved everything about it. We visited in September and the condition was superb as was the layout. Looking back on the 10th a playing partner turned to me and said that the hole was so natural it looked like it had been laid out by mother nature. Summed the course up perfectly for me.

Last edited:

jmcp

Visit site
Dundonald, played it approx 5 years ago and wasn’t impressed but played it again earlier this year and thought it was fantastic, it’s now one of my favourite courses.

Cheers, John

bwstokie

Visit site
Another shout for Cavendish in Buxton, soon To be surpassed, I’d guess, by Royal Lytham but special mentions for Beau Desert and Pestana Alto!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Been spoiled this year, so scratching head a bit.

St George's in the Spring was top drawer. Could play there everyday and not tire of it....Perfect weather helped too.

Similarly a day at Rye was long awaited. It didn't disappoint. Oldest of old school. Don't be fooled by the traditional aire, the locals are friendly as can be.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been lucky this year including having a great tour of Ireland. Difficult to pick a best, but the Island course was one which had flown slightly under my own radar though it is generally very well thought of. An absolute cracker.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The season is all but done so as per the title, which is the best course you have played this year? It might be your home course, or an old favourite, or as in my case, a new one.

Mine was Cavendish near Buxton. A MacKenzie course, I loved everything about it. We visited in September and the condition was superb as was the layout. Looking back on the 10th a playing partner turned to me and said that the hole was so natural, it looked like it had been laid out by mother nature. Summed the course up perfectly for me.

I was going to say Cavendish but then the first post I read names it!
I try and play it at least once each year, perfect for hickory or classic clubs.

Also enjoyed a round each at the Cheshire gems Sandiway and Delamere Forest.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Silloth, Southerness, Cavendish to an extent. Why are so many quality courses way off the beaten track. I've always assumed that if they weren't, I would be able to afford them.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Cradoc for me. Had the course recommended to me a few times over the last few years and finally played there in August. Really enjoyed - a lovely area to play golf in

Skytot

Visit site
I was going to say Cavendish but then the first post I read names it!
I try and play it at least once each year, perfect for hickory or classic clubs.

Also enjoyed a round each at the Cheshire gems Sandiway and Delamere Forest.
Thinking of playing DF or Sandiway next May for my mates 60th .Where I play our fees include the Cheshire Card so that makes it cheaper if we play midweek