Best Course / Worse Course

D

Deleted member 1147

Intrigued to know why people won’t mention a terrible course? It’s a forum?

Because a bad golf course is a very personal thing and I don't think it's right to publicly bad mouth somewhere just because I didn't enjoy it.
For example, one of my least favourite courses is a very popular one, it's part of a big hotel/golf course chain and has a very healthy membership It is generally in very good condition and hosts some big local events. But I don't like the course design/set up.
So I don't think it's right for me to say it's bad when so many others like it.

But I'm quite a fickle golfer - I don't enjoy some places which others really do like, and I'm a big fan of the Brabazon, which is always being panned on here.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really hard to pick out one for the best. I have played roughly half of the top 100 and many of the big names such as Turnberry and Sunningdale are rightly at the top - and Sunningdale New better than the Old!! :D but if it means favourite (and not your home club), I could happily play Parkstone for the rest of my life - lovely location, great conditioning, very scenic, easy walking but with elevation change, lovely clubhouse positioned overlooking the course (as opposed to say, Woburn and Walton Heath), friendly and welcoming members and not too tough!

Haven't played too many goat tracks and can't remember really disliking a course in recent years

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Because a bad golf course is a very personal thing and I don't think it's right to publicly bad mouth somewhere just because I didn't enjoy it.
For example, one of my least favourite courses is a very popular one, it's part of a big hotel/golf course chain and has a very healthy membership It is generally in very good condition and hosts some big local events. But I don't like the course design/set up.
So I don't think it's right for me to say it's bad when so many others like it.

But I'm quite a fickle golfer - I don't enjoy some places which others really do like, and I'm a big fan of the Brabazon, which is always being panned on here.

I don't think there's anything wrong with stating your worst course and giving reasons. I wouldn't say that falls under bad mouthing.

Although appreciate some may not want to offend and may have to play at said courses in future events.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Too difficult to pick one!

The Oxfordshire - Just a really fun place to play. Has a bit of a US Open feel to it, but a lot easier than that.

Crail, Balcomie - A crazy course really. We played in howling wind and it was like nothing I’ve ever experienced. Mental! The views are exceptional, as are the greens.

Classic Club Palm Desert - If I was forced to pick one course as my favourite, it would be this one. It is amvery PGA Tour in style, which may not appeal to some, but the condition of everything is beyond belief. It’s almost like a computer game it’s in such good nick. The greens were outrageously quick but I loved putting on them.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Best course has to be Turnberry, even in minus figures for temperature. Visually very pleasing on the eye, and a good test off golf.

Worst course Is very subjective, I didn't like St Mellion at all too me it seemed a hard slog both golf and walk wise. Might be down to my standard of golf at the time.

Locally I just don't get South Winchester, loads of dunes but you can be 3 fairways across and still have a shot. Another long hard slog.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Best Trump Aberdeen

Worst Barnhurst in Kent, 9 hole course which is very short and holes close together, I have played hundreds of courses over the years and this would be the only one I wouldn't return to.

I take it you've never played Ruxley (ruined by members of the "caravan club"), Cray Valley (not quite ruined yet) or Bromley which aren't that far from Barnehurst.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wow, if Pitlochry is among the worst you have played, you clearly dont play some of the goat tracks I have been on.

Best is RCD, but ask on a different day, and I might have a different answer.

Worst? This is a much harder question. It could be due to architecture, conditioning, both, or a course that just does not suit my eye. I played the Oxfordshire recently, and it just seems to need a fade all the time. This is not in my locker, so I hate the golf course, for no other reason.

Worst today? Hellidon Lakes.

Funnily enough Goat Track is precisely how i would describe it. hear a lot about it and was bitterly disappointed. Even my mate who is far less critical of courses thought the same and he won the comp that day so wasn't anything to do with how we played.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't think there's anything wrong with stating your worst course and giving reasons. I wouldn't say that falls under bad mouthing.

Although appreciate some may not want to offend and may have to play at said courses in future events.

That is largely why I don't want to criticise - also, I would feel a bit like one of those people who puts bad reviews on Tripadvisor.

I'm happy to list all of my favourite courses however.
in no particulat order:
Sunningdale new & old
Royal Porthcawl
Sherwood Forest
Bearwood Lakes
Swinley Forest
Camberley Heath
Kedleston Park
Woodhall Spa
Vilamoura Old

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best is Turnberry, just fabulous.

Worst. Never played a really bad course. I have played some dull ones but not dreadful. Weakest course would be Percy Wood GC. Farmer built a course in some fields, didn't get it properly designed. Scenery saves it in parts and some holes are perfectly acceptable so it is not a goat track. Not one I would go back to or recommend though.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best: The Old Course. Just simply wonderful.

Worst: There was a place in Dumfries we went to many moons ago which had a driving range and golf course. Think it was called The Pines, but not 100% on that. Hated that place. Seriously seen ploughed fields in better condition.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Best Course: Boat of Garten. The setting, simply stunning in the heart of the Cairngorms, you can be playing on a hot summer's day and still look up at snow. Course always in fabulous condition, and only one weak hole on the course, the rather ludicrous 15th (I may give the first a meh as well), all at a decent price.

Worst Course: Westhill. Everything about it. The course, the appalling state of it, doesn't have a single good hole, half of them on the side of a hill. The cavernous barn of a clubhouse in totally the wrong location, and the complete lack of practice facilities.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Best? Not sure, Swinley, Sunningdale, Birkdale RCD? All great. Overseas Sawgrass and Sun City take some beating.... churlish to choose.

Worst? First thing that comes to mind is Carswell between Swindon and Oxford. Havent been in a vey long time and it was quite new, so hope it has matured.

My overriding memory is "farmers field with 18 flags in it."

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best Course: Boat of Garten. The setting, simply stunning in the heart of the Cairngorms, you can be playing on a hot summer's day and still look up at snow. Course always in fabulous condition, and only one weak hole on the course, the rather ludicrous 15th (I may give the first a meh as well), all at a decent price.

Glad to hear that part, going up next June. Got a week in St Andrews followed by a week in Boat of Garten! Appears I've chosen well!

D

Deleted member 18121

Best - Woburn - Marquess

Worst - really close run thing between The Kent and Surrey golf club and West Malling Spitfire course.

Reasons fore my worst opinions are

1) Kent and Surrey - the course has a fantastic lay out and the potential to be a really really great track, but it was always kept in appalling condition. Holes in greens, grass cuttings on fairways, industrial waste dumped on the course etc etc

2) West Malling Spitfire course - the course was in good condition both times I played but with several holes hitting shots over another green/fairway, or so tightly packed that the course felt cramped....then when it did open up the holes were literally up and down same thing hole after hole. I played well there but really didn't enjoy it at all.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best? Not sure, Swinley, Sunningdale, Birkdale RCD? All great. Overseas Sawgrass and Sun City take some beating.... churlish to choose.

Worst? First thing that comes to mind is Carswell between Swindon and Oxford. Havent been in a vey long time and it was quite new, so hope it has matured.

My overriding memory is "farmers field with 18 flags in it."

If Carswell is the worst course you've played mate, you need to play more bad golf courses