Best course for winter golf

JohnWT

Medal Winner
Visit site
Golf Monthly's Local Knowledge pages in December lists courses that hold up well during the winter months. Hillside and Hayling Island are among those mentioned but can anyone suggest any others? I played Reigate Heath in Surrey last weekend and despite a couple of days's rain previously it was in great nick, the greens especially.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Ahhh the joys of winter golf- frost, wind, rain- I am not looking forward to catching one thin on a December morning and it taking 10 holes for my fingers to come back to life!

I always try to head for courses that are known for keeping on proper greens- I would suggest Dudsbury Golf Club in Dorset which not only stays on proper greens but also keeps them in good condition throughout winter. It’s a tough test for any standard of golfer-particularly in adverse weather conditions!

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
head to the seaside - you can't go wrong there. I played Walmer and Kingsdown in kent last week and despite really heavy rain for two days beforehand I walked off with no mud on my shoes - compare that with a round at my home (parkland) course which resembled the somme on green to tee walks

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
THE SEA SIDE!? Not Sure if i fancy those winter winds! I say head for lands further a field-if you can afford it there is nothing better than a week of sunshine golf safe in the knowlege your buddies back home are trying to play on temporary concrete greens!!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I say head for Scotland and true winter golf. There's nothing better than battling the elements and making it in with a respectable score. It makes a pint in the clubhouse taste even better.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re: Best course for winter golf...best post round drinks suggestion

got be a whisky mac - warms the cockles a treat

xander

Hacker
Visit site
Re: Best course for winter golf...best post round drinks suggestion

i think i have to agree links golf IS winter golf!
Links courses generally dry out very quickly because they are more exposed to the winds so i am finding that i am still playing courses in tip top condition.
i know hillside (that was mentioned earlier) as i live quite near to it and its in excellent condition despite the recent rains!