Best ball for somebody with slow swing speed please

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll echo the chrome soft option, it's the ball I use and I really like it.
Not sure who you are echoing....no one has mentioned the Chrome Soft. It's a great ball (or balls, as it has quite significant differences across its iterations and models) but it has no inherent benefits to a slower swing speed as a Tour model.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure who you are echoing....no one has mentioned the Chrome Soft. It's a great ball (or balls, as it has quite significant differences across its iterations and models) but it has no inherent benefits to a slower swing speed as a Tour model.

I actually thought I was echoing you!! but I must have misread the post, it was supersoft you mentioned...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually thought I was echoing you!! but I must have misread the post, it was supersoft you mentioned...
🤗

It does seem strange that about the only things those 2 balls have in common are the size and weight despite the similarity in name.

Personally I do like the Chrome soft (better than the ProV's) and now that they have become so common to find lying around I will use them in the warmer months, or when the greens otherwise firm up, as in the current Easterly winds). But I pay a fair price in clubbing relative to the Supersofts. Just how my numbers work out.

Humpy

Visit site
A few years ago I was told that some quality senior players (men) use ladies golf balls because they are designed to work with lower swing speeds.

Fabia999

Visit site
I third the Wilson DX2. we have scarily similar statistics and I've found those to be the best. However, I've never tried Bridgestone but I would struggle to leave my little orange DX2's.

EDIT * DX2's are considerably cheaper than Callaway/Titleist which is always a bonus (hurts that little bit less when you lose one) *

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I third the Wilson DX2. we have scarily similar statistics and I've found those to be the best. However, I've never tried Bridgestone but I would struggle to leave my little orange DX2's.

EDIT * DX2's are considerably cheaper than Callaway/Titleist which is always a bonus (hurts that little bit less when you lose one) *
The new DX2SOFT certainly has the spec to be there performance wise (colour choices optional of course!).
I haven't used them so can't comment from personal experience.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have had a few lessons with a pro. Asked him today and he said PRO VI or AVX ball which I had never heard of. He was not trying to sell me the more expensive balls but basically said round the green they are worth the difference!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have had a few lessons with a pro. Asked him today and he said PRO VI or AVX ball which I had never heard of. He was not trying to sell me the more expensive balls but basically said round the green they are worth the difference!

Indeed, I'd agree with that - with 1 provision. You have to have the swing speed/technique to generate enough spin to take advantage of that 'ball attribute'! From (ancient) memory, I'm pretty sure you do. My priority is feel - mainly off the Putter. I believe Titleist's realism about the miniscule gain/loss of Driver distance between models.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have a slow swing and I found the premium Titleist balls ruined my drives

I went away for a week with a sleeve of tp5 a day.. I switched back to Wilson staff dx2 and suddenly my drives went nicer again

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oddly enough i wanted to say Pro V1 but playing off 19 aint exactly an endorsement even though my swing speed and distance are similar. However, the other week when i did the FJ day they gave us a couple of sleeves of balls. Pro V1s being one of the sleeves. I was going to give them away, but with the balls was a Titliest catalogue read on the premium Titliest balls and the Pro V1 ticked a lot of boxes. Especially distance off the tee. So i have had a few rounds with some older pro V1s. However since FJ day i have changed my driver to a Ping G410. Bottom line. I am smashing it miles further. That said. Theres no way a retired fossil is paying £40 a box.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed, I'd agree with that - with 1 provision. You have to have the swing speed/technique to generate enough spin to take advantage of that 'ball attribute'! From (ancient) memory, I'm pretty sure you do. My priority is feel - mainly off the Putter. I believe Titleist's realism about the miniscule gain/loss of Driver distance between models.
He has stated an 80mph swing speed....