Benross HTX Compressor Type R

njmathers

Visit site
Has anyone got or used any of this range before? They seem to have amazing reviews. Benross have just brought out a new range that seems like it will replace these (Evolution R), so there's a good deal out there at the minute.

I'm a beginner, so this would be my first set. Would these be a decent place to start?

I could get irons (4-PW), a driver, and a hybrid all brand new for under £400.

Interested to hear thoughts from others who might have had their hands on the clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's the compressor range, but my hybrid is a Benross HTX, certainly. I got it £40 second hand which is very little, and it does the job. From reviews I saw at the time I got it, Benross are rated as being good gear for a lower price than competitors.

chor808

Hacker
Visit site
I have a set of the type R irons, I'm using them over the Cobra irons I also have. They are very long irons however I guess a lot is due to loft. After less than a years use they look very scruffy, the paint has come off them on the back etc but nothing that would stop you playing them...I paid less than 200 I believe for the 5-PW set. KBS shaft and golf pride grips. They sound almost pingy when hit and I've had a few that have gone way longer than expected, not sure why.

As a starter you will be fine with these, don't expect any sell on value (maybe that is the same for most clubs?).

njmathers

Visit site
I have a set of the type R irons, I'm using them over the Cobra irons I also have. They are very long irons however I guess a lot is due to loft. After less than a years use they look very scruffy, the paint has come off them on the back etc but nothing that would stop you playing them...I paid less than 200 I believe for the 5-PW set. KBS shaft and golf pride grips. They sound almost pingy when hit and I've had a few that have gone way longer than expected, not sure why.

As a starter you will be fine with these, don't expect any sell on value (maybe that is the same for most clubs?).

Did you get them new or used?

The set I’ve found is £229 4-pw, brand new so I guess not too far off what you paid.

I don’t mind so much losing out on resell value if that’s all I’m spending on them. If I can play them well for a year or two then I’ve got their value out of them at that point I think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has anyone got or used any of this range before? They seem to have amazing reviews. Benross have just brought out a new range that seems like it will replace these (Evolution R), so there's a good deal out there at the minute.

I'm a beginner, so this would be my first set. Would these be a decent place to start?

I could get irons (4-PW), a driver, and a hybrid all brand new for under £400.

Interested to hear thoughts from others who might have had their hands on the clubs.

Have a look on the Golfvlogauk youtube channel. The guy that runs it arranged for a member of his club to get a surprise fitting at Benross. Not sure off the top of my head if it was the new range (wasn't too long ago) but it may give you something to look at and consider. I think AG are stocking Benross these days so maybe go down and see if you can have a hit

chor808

Hacker
Visit site
Did you get them new or used?

The set I’ve found is £229 4-pw, brand new so I guess not too far off what you paid.

I don’t mind so much losing out on resell value if that’s all I’m spending on them. If I can play them well for a year or two then I’ve got their value out of them at that point I think.

Got them new, I'll look up what I paid but I'm pretty sure it was under 200. I don't even use the 5 iron let alone a 4 iron so you may want to decide how many irons you need. The 5 iron seems more like an old 3 iron, I use a driving iron instead. Same for me I'll use them for a couple of years then trade in for whatever I can get.

By the way there is a almost new set on flee bay for under 125 quid, they look miles better than mine..

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Imo the Benross clubs would be ideal for you, they are a decent quality and good shafts at a lower cost as many other top brands.

I havent any irons but have the htx driver and it’s a very good club.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I got fitted for Benross HTX Compressors last year. Great experience. 0.5 short and 2 degrees flat. Bought the 5-pw for £200. Added matching wedges as well for another £80.

I play off 10 and find the clubs long and really forgiving. Definitely great value.

stirry

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have the 5-pw, 3 hybrid and the driver in HTX , like Reemul I got fitted for mine and a fraction of the cost of other brands and the components of clubs are excellent quality and great for a beginner .

D

Deleted member 18121

I've got the 3 and 4 hybrids with a stiff shaft and hate them, I have zero confidence in them and will more than likely be selling them soon or taking up AG on their double trade in offer.