Bending left arm during backswing.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi forum,I am currently struggling with the above problem,any tips to help keep my left arm nice and straight? Thanks in advance.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's actually about right Deke, normally your right hand gets too close to your right shoulder and the left arm is forced to collapse. The feeling you want is that you can trap a headcover under your right armpit whilst keeping your right hand as far away from your right shoulder as possible, then it's a case of allowing your SHOULDER TURN to do the work in getting the club up and behind you. Your right arm should never bend more than 90 degrees.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers man,much appreciated! Will try at the range tonite.Stack and tilt swing getting better by the day,I need to work on taking proper divots and keeping my arm straighter.Onwards and upwards!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
To be more specific you need to be able to feel like you've trapped a headcover under your right armpit whilst at the same time keeping your right ELBOW about 4" - 5" away from your ribs..... your elbow then moves in towards your ribs on the downswing. Your right hand should be a good 12"-14" away from your head at the top of your swing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There isn't REALLY a problem bending your left arm during backswing.

It is pretty desirable that left arm is straight at impact though.

If you really want to get left arm straighter, try keeping the 'Y' of arms and club by simply turning the shoulders. The right arm is liable to bend early and it is important that you don't over-emphasise the action (by locking the left elbow). The golf swing should be 'natural' rather than forced! There was never any way to make Seve and Woosie swing the same way!

Oh and JO's headcover, angles and distance stuff is pretty spot on - even if the distance stuff is a bit too specific imo.

Last edited:

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks again! After some practice in the garden I am making improvements already,thank the gods you don't charge for your advice mate!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The other 'feeling' that my coach suggested to me - as a left arm bender - was to have the feeling that my left wrist was pushing/stretching into the small finger of my left hand. Had the effect of straightening my left arm pretty effectively. That was also with a mid-plane - neither seriously flat, nor particularly upright. The headcover under the right armpit that JO mentioned would just fall out just before the top of the back-swing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a bent left arm at the top, never seen it as a real problem as long as its straight again before impact on the way back down. Not sure its a "fault" id be getting overly hung up about

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a bent left arm at the top, never seen it as a real problem as long as its straight again before impact on the way back down. Not sure its a "fault" id be getting overly hung up about

Ohhh, now I feel way better.

My left arm straightens on the way down.

and, nice anecdote, I played with a teaching pro (who's written books and all that jazz) who had a wicked left arm, and he hit it good (not to mention going round 3 under :)

Having said that, I'd love to fix it...it looks weird.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RGDave,I don't think my left arm will ever be totally straight,but I agree it does look wierd being too bent!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I know (which is not much) its not meant to be straight as in locked but just straight as it not bent much. Keeping it straighter means you create more width, if you bend and not re-straighten then I guess you will lose clubhead speed. If you correct for it and re-straighten then you should not lose anything.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your input lads! I never noticed that about Fowler's swing,and I am a big fan. Its a draw shape I am after,maybe I should bend it more! ;-)

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
And it's not absolutely essential that the arm is straight at impact either.

This guy seems to play quite well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-FQbMWfok

Its more the body that moves, the arms are as straight (as in up/down rather than towards/away from the camera, as they should be IMO. This creates fantastic width in the swing with little lateral (ie non in this case) body movement. Great swing, me likie!

Just dont pull into your body too much without moving your body out the way like he does! Thats a swing width killer!

Last edited: