Being the Lowest Handicapper in a Match. A New Experience

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting situation in my mixed match in that I was the lowest handicap in our group giving away some 16 shots to the lady in the opposition team off ¾ handicaps. I have never been in this position before and it was an interesting experience to get some idea how the lower handicappers feel on a regular basis.
To get the positives out of the way first, it really did help me focus on my game. Suddenly being looked upon as the one in our team who was expected to be steadier and more consistent really helped cut out some of the insane shots that I try and play. I actually found that being in this position helped my game more than hindering it on many occasions.
There was, however, also a degree of pressure that I felt that was associated with being the one on our team who was assumed would be steady and competitive on most holes. There was also increased pressure with knowing that I had to play somewhere near my best on many holes just to counteract the shots given.
I would, however, be interested to hear how people view the etiquette of announcing any shots give when you are playing an away match on a course that you have hardly played. Our opponents had a habit of only mentioning any shots that they received as they were putting out and, even though my partner was a relatively new golfer and this was her first ever away match, they would only mention when she had a shot once they saw her ball was in some trouble or it was clear that my score was going to be the one that counts. I know, our job to get a card and check the shot holes in advance etc or ask on the tee of each hole but when I have been playing home matches I have always made a point of stating on each tee who has shots on each hole. So, is there any perceived etiquette to this situation.
And, yes, poor form I know but I admit it does niggle me every time you play a decent hole only to find that your oppo has hacked it down there and manages to announce as the putt goes in that you have only got a half due to shots given. I know that is awful, I know that I am normally on the other side of the equation and will be back there again soon but at least I can now appreciate a little how soul destroying that can feel and so a big hand to the lower handicappers who have to bite their tongue on regular basis.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why were you leaving it to the oppo to announce the shots Greg ?

Only ones ive played with shots given are mixed matches and il always be chatting away bout stuff to keep my partner relaxed , when we get to the tee id tell her if there were shots given /received on the hole .. you kinda have to know starting the holes IMO

As regards etiquette again IMO you know at the start the shots given /received, you look at the scorecard & mark them on it , IF need be collaborate with the oppo at this stage so that ye both are aware &in agreement , after that i wouldnt expect the other team to be telling my partner when they had shots or vicee versa

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I always declare the shot I'm giving on the tee of the hole we're playing. Its no big deal.

Tonight, for the first time in a long time I'm getting shots... note, shot(S)! 3 shots, WOW! Looking forward to it.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
find its handy to establish any shots on the tee before starting the hole.

If you didn't have a card Did the tees not have markers with SI on?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did not help that I was in a rush as was given the wrong time to turn up so had to rush to the tee and forgot to pick up a card on the way

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never announced shots given or received. It's each player/ team's responsibility to know beforehand.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last week we had our annual Sweden vs RoW meet, as we were 1 player short I played a match against 2 guys at the same time, giving them 8 and 5 strokes. Stood on the 18th tee I was 1 up in one match and 1 down in the other, both matches finished all square.........and I was mentally shattered!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When giving shots I'll generally not announce it on the tee when they are getting one - it's your opponents responsibility to know the holes they get shots on. Besides - some folks don't like being told on the tee that they get a shot - they think it's gamesmanship - either to make them more confident and hence over-relax - or to put pressure on them to not waste their shot. So I just tend to keep stum.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll confirm if someone is getting a shot and they ask. If not I won't say anything as I think they have a responsibility to know where they are getting them. I'll make sure my partner knows when to take theirs