Beginners Iron Set

Beatley

Visit site
Hi All,

I‘m after some advice on an iron set for a beginner. Started playing late last year with some clubs loaned from a friend, they‘re 20+ years old, so looking to buy some new or second hand ones of my own. They might even improve my game a little, but to be honest, it can’t get much worse.

I’ve come across a Callaway Rogue X set on affordable golf for less than £500, which seem decent value. Does anyone have any opinions on them? They come with the standard regular shaft, which I think is the one I should be getting as a beginner.

https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/callaway-rogue-irons-2020-steel

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi All,

I‘m after some advice on an iron set for a beginner. Started playing late last year with some clubs loaned from a friend, they‘re 20+ years old, so looking to buy some new or second hand ones of my own. They might even improve my game a little, but to be honest, it can’t get much worse.
https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/callaway-rogue-irons-2020-steel

Buying new irons will not improve your game.
Have you had any lessons and how often do you practice?

AAC

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, it's great that you have only just taken up golf, listen to Bobmac's advice, he knows what's what ;)

Are you a member anywhere, if so your pro will be able to guide you.

Beatley

Visit site

They should get me a little more distance though? Which is definitely a problem at the moment.

Range once a week, play on the local 9 hole beginners course on the Sunday. No lessons yet, but do intend on getting a few now I can hit the ball without it going 20yds to the left or right.

Beatley

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, it's great that you have only just taken up golf, listen to Bobmac's advice, he knows what's what ;)

Are you a member anywhere, if so your pro will be able to guide you.

Thanks for the welcome ?

Not a member anywhere currently, just been playing a couple of different 9 hole courses so far. I doubt folk on the bigger courses would want to be playing being me at the moment ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Callaway Rogue are pretty forgiving, moreso than a 20 year old set I should think. Otherwise you could look for something like the Ping G ranges, Mizuno JPX range (not JPX pro/tour though), TaylorMade M4, or Wilson Staff D7s maybe.

I just Googled forgiving irons from 2018, so if you have a look at the top ones on here, you might be able to find them for a decent price second hand now: https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/feat.../april/best-irons-2018-ranked-by-forgiveness/
Rogue is certainly up there.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Not really sure a blanket statement like that is entirely true, even if the sentiment is.

You've no idea what his current irons are. They could be a knackered old set of blades with ruined grips. They aren't going to be much use.

The advice should be. Go speak to a pro who will give you advice on what to look for. And also get some lessons.

OP. I personally wouldn't commit to spending that sort of money on new irons as a beginner. Look for something similar on eBay, or one of the many Facebook selling pages and you will find something for half the price that will get you going.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Get something used until you can afford to buy new.

If you buy a cheap new set, youll only be annoyed when you start being tempted by better brands. I know my friends have all been in this situation! Brought start up clubs - quickly upgraded due to the love of golf and wanting the better brand name in the bag.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Your golf journey is likely to go aong the lines of...
1. Range, short coure, general enjoymeny
2. But first clubs £500 ish
3. Get lessons at local range £30 each
4. Join club.
5. Buy lots of new clubs...£££

I would totally recommend jumping to option 3 before option 2. Get some lessons, and more importantly, get a relationship with a pro you get on with. He or she will quickly be able to see how quickly you are able to improve, what your likely requirements are, and will save you a small fortune in the long run. In addition youll start you swing on a strong footing of fundamentals, that every poster on this thread would swap for any club they have ever owned!!

Particularly with the wealth of kit available second hand having a pro who knows your potential and your tendancies will mean when you do buy a set, youll get so much value from them!! I'd bet alot that good as those Rogues are, youll change them in a year once you get going!!

Beatley

Visit site
OP. I personally wouldn't commit to spending that sort of money on new irons as a beginner. Look for something similar on eBay, or one of the many Facebook selling pages and you will find something for half the price that will get you going.

Thanks for the advice, question though, what are the risks of buying a counterfeit set online? One chap mentioned that you risk buying a non genuine set using Facebook etc. Not sure if he was being overly cautious or not.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, question though, what are the risks of buying a counterfeit set online? One chap mentioned that you risk buying a non genuine set using Facebook etc. Not sure if he was being overly cautious or not.
I would stick to Ebay because you have seller ratings and whatnot, and some decent websites sell through there, like GolfsClubs4Cash and Affordable Golf sometimes. Yeah I tend not to buy things from Facebook as any old joker could be on there and just delete his account once you've sent the cash or something. On Ebay you have a bit of comeback against scammers at least.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not really sure a blanket statement like that is entirely true, even if the sentiment is.

If the OP is as bad as he says he is, it won't matter what he's got in his hands.

You've no idea what his current irons are. They could be a knackered old set of blades with ruined grips. They aren't going to be much use.

There's nothing wrong with starting with blades and if the grips are old, a new set of grips will cost a lot less than £500.

The advice should be. Go speak to a pro who will give you advice on what to look for. And also get some lessons.

I was getting to that which is why I asked him if he was already having lessons. There was no point in advising him to get lessons if he was already getting some.

I agree

To the OP...
I would suggest you have a lesson ASAP.
I was a teaching pro for 15 years and believe me, it's a lot easier teaching a beginner with no bad habits than an experienced duffer.
When you have your lesson, you can get his/her advice on replacing your irons if you need to.
Then at least you won't get ripped off and you'll have an idea of what to practice when you're at the range.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated.

I’m going to hold off busying some new clubs until I’ve had a few lessons.

Cheers.

Best decision mate! Just dont be swayed by the pro on a sales mission if he starts pushing you towards pricey new clubs - you wont play better golf because they're new! Always worth looking on golfbidder for your first set!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated.

I’m going to hold off busying some new clubs until I’ve had a few lessons.

Cheers.

Sweaty Sock mentioned something so important. Find a pro you get on with. When starting out it is so easy just to think a pro knows so much more than you so they are all the same. Find one that you feel good with in the session, it makes such a difference

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ask at the courses near you if they run a 'Get into Golf' program. Many offer coaching and access to the course for exceptional value. And are normally lessons in groups so its great to meet other players to play with that will be in a similar position.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My first set was a dunlop set I paid £25 for bag included. I just wanted to get out there and play. Once I knew I was in for the long haul I brought better equipment - mind you I am like a peacock and want new shiny clubs - make no bones about it the clubs are only as good as the person using them.

If you can justify it then by all means the Rogue X are excellent. They are designed for forgiveness and to help you get the ball in the air.
However, saying that I play with a bloke that can't hit water if he fell out of a boat - His theory was his current set had too much offset was the problem, as apposed to the fact that he has a reverse pivot, doesn't transfer his weight, chicken wings it and can't strike the ball effectively - this became very evident when he took out a Mizuno JPX 921 Forged and still hacked it to pieces.

I do agree that lessons and practice are the best methods of getting better.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Wilson staff are possibly the most underrated club out there. Very forgiving for beginners But I’d suggest there mid range over distance clubs. Definitely lessons before you buy though. Lessons will open up a wider range of clubs to you and if your just after irons, £500 isn’t far off some properly fitted sets so you could save another £200 while you learn to play with what you have presently.