Beginner Question: Club Length

dunny

Visit site
Hi All,

First post!

I've had conflicting information so thought I'd check online to see what others think. I'm 6ft 3in, I took up golf approx 6 months ago. I was having my first ever lesson the other day when my instructor suggested that I may want to get the clubs lengthened because of my height. Now here's were the conflicting information came from, he said just get the irons lengthened, where as at my local shop they said change everything?

I asked a friend who has played for several years but is regular height and he said that if I was under 6ft 4in then just do the irons if over do everything?

So if someone could clarify that would be great, also how much would you expect to pay for something like this?

Thanks
Phil

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is more complicated than just height. The key measure is really hands to ground distance, so if you are tall but you have long arms like an orang utan, standard length may be fine. The other variable is how you strike the ball during impact. If you have a tendency to heel it, shorter clubs may be suggested, if you toe it (i.e. can't properly reach it), longer clubs.

Length affects lie, but that needs to be determined separately.

You should see a pro who knows about fitting, and don't just buy off the shelf or let the muppets at American Golf (or similar) advise you.