Beginner grip Q

TimmyO

Visit site
As a total beginner this is something I have yet to master and which most probably take for granted by now so please bear with me :)

I've done a few sessions at the range to try and work the basics and each time I come away with a blister on my left (lead) hand middle finger - at the top of the middle segment below the top joint.

I've been trying to follow the advice of various YouTube videos (particularly like the Shawn Clement stuff) on this but feel I get movement and soreness nevertheless.

I do have some lessons starting later this week but they are in a group so not sure how much attention I'll be able to get on this but will ask there too.

Anything super obvious or just pay closer attention to the videos and try harder?

Do grip sizes vary much - could that a contributing factor?

Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you hold it tight
Do you wear a glove
Are the grips standard thickness
Are your hands big/small
Does the club rest in your fingers or palm.
How long is your backswing

In other words.........hard to tell without standing in front of you.
The pro will help if you tell him/her your problem

TimmyO

Visit site
Asked the pro at the group lesson. It seems I was holding it a bit too high - getting it more down in my fingers now seems to help

TimmyO

Visit site
Snuck to the range today and hit a bucket of balls - spent the majority of the time thinking about grip and noticing what if felt the club was doing in my hand if things went awry.

What I'm learning (or think I'm learning/realising) is that an effective grip throughout the swing feels very counter-intuitive to me so it takes conscious thought.

Things I need to be conscious or.otherwise they go bad:

Keep the club in the fingers of the left/lead hand - don't let it sit up on the meat of the hand

Keep the meat of the base of the palm on top.of the club - don't Lett the butt ride up.on there (if i'm careless it does this either as I take my grip or at some point during the swing)

Right/trail hand grips with 3 fingers only - index and thumb support rather than grab.

If I remember to remember those things, then my grip stays in one piece as I swing, and that just leaves all the other beginner swing issues to present themselves (or not) haha

Yesterday was the first lesson but I can already see what people.mean about a small number of good occurrences keeping you hooked - I landed 2 7 irons in a row onto the "green" of the range.duringbthe lesson and felt 10 feet tall. (Next one went over the fence to the right obviously :) )

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is very easy to get the grip wrong even for someone like me who has played for over 40 years.

I use a grip trainer on the range from time to time to make sure my grip is in the right position

007.JPG006.JPG

TimmyO

Visit site
That looks interesting - do you use it like that as a reminder of hand position or attach it to a club and actually swing it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That looks interesting - do you use it like that as a reminder of hand position or attach it to a club and actually swing it?
I have a club in the locker with one fitted a few swings and balls with that to remind me of the grip position before hitting some more balls.

On its own it can be just used as reminder of the correct grip and helps to establish muscle memory.

The loose one is because I am going to fit it to a different shaft to the one I am currently using.