Beginner Clubs

dantheram

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m just starting out at the game and I am looking to purchase my first set of clubs but I’m a bit lost where to start!

Any advice on what to do, should I buy a cheap set to start with and then progress from there?

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just started out, bought a full set of whatever was cheap (£30) and looked reasonably new on ebay. The intention wasn't to get anything that was "good" just something to start to learn with so that I could have an idea what I was buying when i spent more money.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you get better value for money getting second hand gear. If you buy a starter set like Dunlop or Wilson you'll be wanting to replace it all within a year.
Try and get down to an AG Outlet, there's one near me and they have a massive array of second hand clubs, all of which you can try out on the range.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with those starter sets for the occasional beginner golfer. If your just heading to pay and play for a few rounds over the summer then they pay for themselves after a couple of years.

If your joining a club and playing week in week out from the start then a second hand set of SGI or GI irons from the last 5-7 years will start you off well.

One option is to static for yourself for ping and get on golf bidder. Find a G series set of irons in your dot.

Then invest in an older ping putter, driver and 5 wood. Save your “new” money wedges.

I’ve seen 3 ppl go out and buy G10 sets and never look back, played them till they got fitted for brand new sets or still play them!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say go for something from MD Golf. Cracking clubs, from a company that doesnt spend millions funding a lot of pro's.
Ebay has some good sets on there, and being a lesser known company you're unlikely to get many copies of what are a cheaper club anyway.
That's what I would do.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I would say go for something from MD Golf. Cracking clubs, from a company that doesnt spend millions funding a lot of pro's.
Ebay has some good sets on there, and being a lesser known company you're unlikely to get many copies of what are a cheaper club anyway.
That's what I would do.

Add Benross to this for the same reasons.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

I’m just starting out at the game and I am looking to purchase my first set of clubs but I’m a bit lost where to start!

Any advice on what to do, should I buy a cheap set to start with and then progress from there?

Wilson deep reds with the fat shaft are great clubs to start from . The odd time I consider going back to them after a particularly horrific round .

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve got a set of Taylormade Burner 2.0 if your interested. Larger heads, good condition and regular shafts. 4-SW. Good quality set of clubs to start with that will be better than a standard starter set.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go to Ebay and pick up something like the Callaway X-12, x-14, x-16 etc. Can be found pretty cheap and they are a really nice set of easy to hit irons that can stay in your bag for a couple of years. I would also forget about getting a driver, hard to hit and probably cost you more shots than it's worth. Take a look at something like the Taylormade SLDR mini driver, great club and easy to hit long and straight.

I would a avoid any of the complete sets as they are what they are, cheap to buy and is of the same quality. NO resale value if you decide to move them on.

DaveTheHead00

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Where in the world are you Dan?

albie999

Visit site
I bought a set of Ben Ross irons when I started just over a year ago, managed to pick up 5-SW for £199 ... pretty good deal I thought. So far, they have been doing me well, and have hit them against other brands, titleist, taylormade etc, and am still hitting the same or even further than those .... so, for a starter set, reckon I still got some life left in them

DaveTheHead00

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

where in the world are you dan, if your close I have a set of ben sayers m7 irons 5 - wedge that your welcome too. they are cavity backed with a hunky top line.

dantheram

Visit site
where in the world are you dan, if your close I have a set of ben sayers m7 irons 5 - wedge that your welcome too. they are cavity backed with a hunky top line.

i'm up North - well Derbyshire so not quite Scoootlund :D

Very kind offer but i plumped for some ping G10's (5-SW).

Just trying to figure out what driver / hybrids / putter i need now :confused:

Thoughts? i see the Taylormade SLDR mentioned . . .

Pin-seeker

Visit site
i'm up North - well Derbyshire so not quite Scoootlund :D

Very kind offer but i plumped for some ping G10's (5-SW).

Just trying to figure out what driver / hybrids / putter i need now :confused:

Thoughts? i see the Taylormade SLDR mentioned . . .

Good choice 👍🏻
You’ll not find many more forgiving irons.

Why not stick with the Ping G range for Woods?