Beacon Park

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
3rd Visit since taking up the game, the 1st visit was in the pouring rain in 2011, played last summer lovely day. Then today was slightly overcast with the odd drizzly shower. That is just to give you an idea of the time between round and that the weather has always been different so will not be used as part of the review measurement.

Played today as part of a society, arrived early (9:30am) Went inside to the very dark bar area to have a tea and bacon roll each. Well the seating is no better than last year and getting even tattier. After waiting a few minutes for drinks and rolls, they arrived which was a pity. The rolls were stale, bacon was very fatty and no sauces or other condiments out for us. As a tea drinker I had to request tea as only coffee was put out. I was made up to get a full mug.............then realised it was just dishwater. What a shame.

So now its 10am off to the Pro shop, at first I thought I was seeing things, the pro was cooking, doing the drinks, sorting everything else out and running the shop. Good for him, but to the detriment of the business it all seemed very sloppy.

After hitting a few balls on the range cast an eye over the practice green and hoped that the greens on the course fared better as it was VERY poor. So we walked over to the 1st Tee, looked everywhere for the info board for the hole, and eventually realised that next to the scruffy tee box which looked like the goalmouth of a wet November football match in the 80's there was a small stone plinth with almost no marking on. Tee off and the 1st green was even worse than the practise green. Very bumpy, patch grass, not at all like the muni near me in St Helens (Sherdley)
It did not matter how well you putted they bobbled and bounced along like a frozen December morning.

The actual layout is great, undulating fairways, plenty or tree's lovely views. It is a great challenge and can catch you out on many holes so you really need to plot your way through some holes. The place has so much potential but such a shame that West Lancs Leisure have let this lovely track degrade. They need to sort the tee's and Greens out, the fairways and rough are great, scenery lovely. A nice challenge just a let down when you get a good line and your ball literally jumps of course inches from the hole. Now I'm not the greatest putter but it is the strongest part of my game, and I hit a dismall 37 putts.

There was also a nutty guy running all over the course trying to jump in and skipping holes, generally causing a nuisance to other golfers.

The good things was by the time we finished there were more staff in the clubhouse, still dark though. The Steak Pie and Chips were gorgeous, The ice-cream had a lot of ice in like it had been in an open freezer for a while.

Even with all the poor green and tees, I shot a respectable 1 under my handicap, 37 points. Some great drives and nice chips round the green.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was there yesterday walking the dog (I only live 10 minutes away) and I was really disappointed in the state of the course. The greens looked poor, the tee boxes were unrecognisable, there were people with dogs walking all over the place (not me, I use the footpaths alongside the 17th and 18th, in the woods). Not somewhere that I would consider playing tbh.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Was there yesterday walking the dog (I only live 10 minutes away) and I was really disappointed in the state of the course. The greens looked poor, the tee boxes were unrecognisable, there were people with dogs walking all over the place (not me, I use the footpaths alongside the 17th and 18th, in the woods). Not somewhere that I would consider playing tbh.

Have you played scouser at Eccleston Park? Its a friendly course, the fairways have a lot to be improved on them but the greens and tee's are fine, the pylon many talk about in the middle of the course make for shaping shots if your tee shots is not in the right spot on landing