Beacon Park golf club

Kevblue

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recently played this course for the first time since I took up golf as an adult, the last time I played it was as a kid.

Left the course feeling very sad. The greens are truly dreadful. The course is clearly suffering from chronic underinvestment.

Such a shame as it’s a Donald Steel designed course and is a fantastic layout, beautifully intergrated into the land. It has some truly memorable holes. The Par 5’s in particular are fantastic.

Has anyone played the course? Did it used to be in good condition? (I’ve only played golf for a few years)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it the one in Skemersdale.
If so it has always been a bit hit and miss.
I remember losing a ball on the fairway as there was so many white flowering weeds .
But the layout was good but never in good enough condition.
Must be 20yrs since I played it last.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I haven't played here for over 20 years. It was the course where I first ever played and was very difficult. A few years back I heard that it had been taken over and had gone into a pretty decent condition. However since then as the OP said I'd heard it had gone backwards again. I always think about going for a game there and how I would approach it compared to when I was younger. I guess I'll wait till it improves again. My biggest memory was the front 9 and every hole felt like the ball used to ring down the hill to your right.

Kevblue

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I haven't played here for over 20 years. It was the course where I first ever played and was very difficult. A few years back I heard that it had been taken over and had gone into a pretty decent condition. However since then as the OP said I'd heard it had gone backwards again. I always think about going for a game there and how I would approach it compared to when I was younger. I guess I'll wait till it improves again. My biggest memory was the front 9 and every hole felt like the ball used to ring down the hill to your right.

There are 3 holes where the fairway is severely sloped from left to right.

Very tough and a great example of how Donald Steel utilised the natural lay of the land to produce fantastic holes.