Bar Hill - Cambridgeshire, anyone played?

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

I'm playing Bar Hill Sunday Monday in a couple of weekends and just wanted to get some info on the course.

The website is lacking in any information however the couple of pics they have on there look really nice.

I do like to learn about a new course before playing them so any experiences, reviews or advice for Bar Hill would be much appreciated.

Dave

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have played it many times and I do like the course. Greens are always in very good condition. Some interesting holes and a good layout.
First tee box is right behind a lake so it can be a pretty daunting start to your round.

I found that there is a lot of ditches around the 200-230 mark on the course so if you drive that distance it makes you think weather you want to lay up.

I would advise on a yardage book for first timers.

I look forward to hearing your review.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks sounds good. I've just got into using a driver but am more than happy to play lay up golf after many years of doing that. I have GPS on my phone which I'll use for yardages.

Can't wait really, and looking forward to playing same course two days in a row.

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
Often drive past on the way to Tesco, only heard good things about it.

There's a lovely par 4 straight uphill and normally into the wind with OB left, so have fun. Also, try not to hit the motorway on one of the holes! :p

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a lovely par 4 straight uphill and normally into the wind with OB left, so have fun. Also, try not to hit the motorway on one of the holes! :p

If you are talking about the hole you can see from Dry Drayton before you get onto the A14 that is a par 5 and a long slog in the wind or when I played it last summer 30 degree heat. It is hole 14. Green sit on the crest of the hill and shot to it is pretty much blind.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played it last Saturday on a Travel zoo deal... £30 per pair with cooked brekkie thrown in.

Nice enough course.. not spectacular, but in pretty good nick and nice greens. Certainly a good course for a social game.

I can echo the comments about drainage ditches... spent ages looking for a tee shot which I thought I'd pured down the fairway..... eventually found it in the ditch back at about 240 where it had hopped.

you should be able to score pretty well.... not real rough to speak of so you're unlikely to lose it off the tee.

Look out for the 16th.. the hole doglegs left about 90* off the tee at about 230 yards. I hit what I thought was a perfect 3-wood that ended up in the semi rough through the fairway, with about 170 to the green. My mate hit a horrid hooky hybrid that we thought was lost, but he ended up about 80 yards from the pin in the middle of the fairway!

Last edited: