Balls for swing speeds,

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
wot ball,do you reckon is the best for the slower swinger,75-85mph if they do make a difference put this on the lounge,thought better on here,

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
ladies compression, but to be honest it's not going to make a whole lot of difference at those swing speeds. much better to concentrate on trajectory.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
When I got my fitting at Titleist at Carton House the fitter who I dealt with told me that this talk of swing speed for balls is a lot of nonsense.
His points were that you have a driver swing speed, iron swing speed, wedge swing speed all on full shots. But they still have their half shots with much slower swings. He told me that there will be perhaps 3 or 4 yards difference between an NXT and a ProV1.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Titleist told me the same and spin between a ad333 and a prov1 is about 500 rpm, something most of us wouldn't notice. My suggestion would be to buy a dozen of a few and try them out and see which you like best. Also cost wise if you lose plenty maybe provs aren't a great idea!

Personally I like the ad333, didn't for ages but now my ball of choice. Close second the dx2. When the game is on fire I do like the prov1x, I just don't like losing them!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I found the best thing was find the ball you liked putting with the most and use it. Personally I don't get spin so the rest of my game doesn't benefit from expensive balls.

Likewise with me, though feel off the Driver is important too (no rocks for me). As I last bought balls 15months or so ago, and still have all of those, I use premium (pickup) balls. Pentas are the current favourite, though NXT Tour S feels great too.

I've seen the note about there only being about 5 yards between longest and shortest balls in Titleist range too. Probably correct, but is that really good marketing?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've seen the note about there only being about 5 yards between longest and shortest balls in Titleist range too. Probably correct, but is that really good marketing?

FWIW. I thought I read something recently about the new ProV's being quite a bit longer than last years version.

I happen to llike Penta's too.... but will be damned if I'm ever paying for decent golf balls... £10/dozen is my limit! LOLOL

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I got my fitting at Titleist at Carton House the fitter who I dealt with told me that this talk of swing speed for balls is a lot of nonsense.
His points were that you have a driver swing speed, iron swing speed, wedge swing speed all on full shots. But they still have their half shots with much slower swings. He told me that there will be perhaps 3 or 4 yards difference between an NXT and a ProV1.

I heard the same thing. And to be honest, it's doesn't surprise me.

A

Alex1975

To use some premium balls to their full one needs to compress them a certain amount but as far as most balls on the market, this can be achieved by the vast majority of golfers.

What you should be far more interested in, in my opinion, is the spin rate of theball. If you use a high spinning soft ball and slice it off the tee it will find the rough a lot! If you use a lower spinning ball and slice it off the tee you might be ok. However a lower spinning ball is often harder in its construction and will not be as user friendly around the green. It will also not be as workable in the air for players who want to move the ball around.

It’s a balance; there is no perfection with golf ball choice. I use an NXT Tour as I find it spins the right amount so that I can control the flight in the air and it’s longish but it’s not ideal around the green for me.

The other day I ran out of them and ended up using a ProV1. I know what they are like they used to be my stock ball, I had to be a little more careful off the tee but it was so much nicer to chip and putt with. It’s just a big old balancing act like everything in life and golf.

My final thought is that we spend too much time talking and thinking about what irons, driver, putter we have and not enough time picking the ball that works best for our game, not everyone would agree....

Last edited:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can recommend Bridgstone e5. That's what I'm using a.t.m. and it helps by increasing backspin, when most players probably don't need to do this, especially with the long clubs.
Higher flight, better carry, more distance overall.

However, I think you should address the issues with your swing in all honesty.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Titleist work from the short game backward toward the driver

http://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-ball-fitting/

Makes sense really :thup:

Not necessarily i.m.o.

With a low(er) swing speed, you can forget about pro backspin, the most you can hope for is 2 hops and a stop.

I'd rather go with a ball that gives me the best results off the tee.

b.t.w. I still carry a Z-star or Pro-V in my bag for short par 3s.... :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
wot ball,do you reckon is the best for the slower swinger,75-85mph if they do make a difference put this on the lounge,thought better on here,

I really don't want to be rude - but why on earth are you 'worrying/asking' about balls and thinking about swing speed in mph. I haven't a clue what my swing speed is - in 40 yrs playing I've not thought about it numerically once. As far as balls. Well - I just choose (actually find) a ball and hit it. If it feels OK then stick with it for a bit until it doesn't. Liking the sound and feel of a ball is all that matters to me - not that I actually think about that very much.

Seems to me that you are making the game too complicated and buying into all the guff spouted by the manufacturers and golf mags, and (especially) amateur and professional 'experts'. Golf is a simple game. Don't complicate it by worrying if your ball matches your swing speed. Sorry if that was in anyway rude - it wasn't meant to be :)