Ball struck by playing partner ball

franky116

Visit site
We were playing a medal round competition when I had struck my shot into about 5ft from 100 yards out. We went to playing partners ball about 10ft in front of mine and he played his shot, His ball rolled up and knocked my ball closer to the hole (about 1ft) I was going to replace to original spot (think its rule 19 ish) about replacing ball to nearest approximate place, when he claimed the rule had been amended and could play as it was and was up to player to decide which he wanted to do. I doubted the rule and placed my ball back to nearest original position seeing it was a competition. Is he right or wrong as checked the web site and does not clearly state the change in rule just says there is a new one ????????????????????????

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We were playing a medal round competition when I had struck my shot into about 5ft from 100 yards out. We went to playing partners ball about 10ft in front of mine and he played his shot, His ball rolled up and knocked my ball closer to the hole (about 1ft) I was going to replace to original spot (think its rule 19 ish) about replacing ball to nearest approximate place, when he claimed the rule had been amended and could play as it was and was up to player to decide which he wanted to do. I doubted the rule and placed my ball back to nearest original position seeing it was a competition. Is he right or wrong as checked the web site and does not clearly state the change in rule just says there is a new one ????????????????????????

You place yours to a near as you can where it was before it was hit and he plays from where his stops, no rule change as far as I can remember. You'd be pretty brassed off if yours was on the green and hit hard enough to roll into a pond!

Welcome to the forum!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some confusion in your fellow competitor's mind there, Franky.

Your ball was at rest and was moved by his ball: you must replace your ball. Rule 18-5
His ball was in motion and deflected by yours: he must play it as it lies. Rule 19-5a.

I have an idea of what he might be getting confused about, but won't go into that as it would be confusing a simple answer to a simple and indeed commonplace situation. ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Some confusion in your fellow competitor's mind there, Franky.

I have an idea of what he might be getting confused about, but won't go into that as it would be confusing a simple answer to a simple and indeed commonplace situation. ;)

But here's a link to the new ones for when he asks what the new rule - that he knows exists - is http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/New-Rules-2012.aspx

Make your own mind up which it is, but I'd bet it was 18.3 - Ball moves after address - which is in no way related to your situation - Ball moved...

Welcome btw.

franky116

Visit site
Thanks guys. I did wonder where he was coming from as he says you have the option ? Being uncertain as I know the old rule was place as near as possible so I just placed as near as I could guess where it was and missed the putt :) Thanks for the welcome and advise

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone will always give you the correct ruling or great advice. Welcome and enjoy the madhouse.

Glad you proceeded under the correct ruling. :thup:

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was his ball played from on the green?
Without looking it up i thought there was a penalty if you putted into an opponents ball when both on the green?

If his ball was off the green when played however then as above.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were playing a medal round competition when I had struck my shot into about 5ft from 100 yards out. We went to playing partners ball about 10ft in front of mine and he played his shot .......

I think that meant the shot was played from about 97 yards out, so unless they have remarkably large greens on that course, it was played from off the green. :)

Had both balls been on the green, you are quite right: there would have been a 2 stroke penalty. (No penalty in match play)