Ball striking!!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello experts :thup:

I've had a bit of a cut, suppose I'd better try and play to my new handicap.

I've had a little think; off the tee I'm good, my short game is ok, my putting average, I can work on these myself .

What I'm after are some drills to improve my iron play, specifically ball striking in my long/med irons.

My bad shot is a little necky scruffy fade, or a fat shot.

Any drills/ tips re ball striking will be greatly received:thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why not spend 12 hours down the range with James? ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Alternatively, I'll take a look at your swing if you like. I get free balls at Iford range ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Lay two tees flat on the ground, put one where your ball should be and one 4" closer to the target and try to hit BOTH. If you're flipping the club you won't be able to hit the front one as the club will be on the way UP and will pass straight over the top of it :thup:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alternatively, I'll take a look at your swing if you like. I get free balls at Iford range ;)

Cheers Gordon, I'll take you up that, you'll have to take into account my funny little fan on takeaway:eek:

Lay two tees flat on the ground, put one where your ball should be and one 4" closer to the target and try to hit BOTH. If you're flipping the club you won't be able to hit the front one as the club will be on the way UP and will pass straight over the top of it :thup:

Cheers James. This is what I'm after, a drill to replicate the feeling of getting into the back of the ball.

Do you reckon that my funny little takeaway move inhibits a decent repeatable strike? (I guess the answer is yes)

With my wedges, 9 & 8 I seem to be taking a divot after the ball, and know what this feels like. I'd like to replicate this with the longer clubs, does the extra length of these irons promote a flatter swing and therefore make this problematic?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
With my wedges, 9 & 8 I seem to be taking a divot after the ball, and know what this feels like. I'd like to replicate this with the longer clubs, does the extra length of these irons promote a flatter swing and therefore make this problematic?

Flatter, Yes. Problematic, No - at least not necessarily. If you can hit FWs off the deck, it shouldn't be a problem.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have some blades just lying around at the moment if you really want to learn what ball striking is all about!
You are more than welcome to borrow them Nick.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have some blades just lying around at the moment if you really want to learn what ball striking is all about!
You are more than welcome to borrow them Nick.
Extra stiff x200's, mmmmm yes please !!:D

You a convert to cavities, 'every little helps':thup:

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Extra stiff x200's, mmmmm yes please !!:D

You a convert to cavities, 'every little helps':thup:

BOOMross! It might last a week or it might last forever, surprisingly not found it hard to part from the blades so far!
Hit some nice shots with the Hybirds too. All I need is that handicap of 14 and I can really start enjoyng this game.

I'll keep the irons on hold for you Nick., just in case!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Do you reckon that my funny little takeaway move inhibits a decent repeatable strike? (I guess the answer is yes)

Yes, and yes.

1. Your takeaway just makes it less consistent, you get the club into the wrong position (timing issue No1) which you then have to compensate for (timing issue No2).

2. The longer the iron the flatter the angle of attack, and generally the ball is further forwards, both of which make it harder to draw the ball.