Ball split ?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Simple 8 iron to the green this afternoon, looks up...nothing til I see this white thing 40 yards ahead spiralling to the left, gets up it's my ball.

Anyone care to explain how a ball just splits in half like that ? Has it just had enough ? Can they only take so much ?

File is too big for uploading but it's a Callaway chrome soft.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many rounds had you used it for?

I've only put a crack in a ball once (never split one in half) and that was when I was using it for the 10th time in a row - the only time I've ever gone that long without losing a ball. :LOL: Generally I lose a ball after 3 rounds at the most so it's not a problem I face often.

D

Deleted member 21258

Had quite a few of the balls split, that are used in a net situation. They were old balls already tho.

Happened a couple of times on the course as well, with the 2nd hand ones that I normally play on the course.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It was an older ball but still very playable, I'm just wondering do they just give up the ghost when they've been battered enough.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was an older ball but still very playable, I'm just wondering do they just give up the ghost when they've been battered enough.

Generally the core splits following some sort of unusual contact (which can be the ball hitting something as well as something hitting the ball) - then at some future point a stroke causes the outer layers to fail.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I did it in the past but that was with a Penfold Commando :ROFLMAO:
I've found the odd one or two halves of golf balls on the course. I usually leave them with the cover up so that someone behinds thinks they've found a ball till they pick it up. ;)
Given the sheer volumes of balls being produced I guess it happens that you will get the occassional failure.
I remember playing with a Titleist and on teeing off on our third hole suddenly felt odd and flew strangely, same with the second shot. I can only assume something had happened inside so it dissapeared into our Loch off the 4th tee!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Generally the core splits following some sort of unusual contact (which can be the ball hitting something as well as something hitting the ball) - then at some future point a stroke causes the outer layers to fail.

Interestingly, the drive, though seemed solid enough just died right, possibly 50 yards shorter than I'd normally hit a drive, it was a par 5 so my second shot was just a knock down 5 iron, which seemed fine.

YandaB

Visit site
Replace the damaged ball, unfortunately the 40 yards it flew would still count as a stroke though.
Can you choose which half you select as the position to replace it at? Or is it defined as the nearest/furthest or something else?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Can you choose which half you select as the position to replace it at? Or is it defined as the nearest/furthest or something else?

if you check the picture, both halves are still attached, so not sure what would happen if they went their separate ways.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As chrisd said, pretty sure that it would count as being in pieces so reload and no penalty, impressive split though!