Ball resting against a rake outside of a bunker

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
JAKEY MAYBE

Yeah, that's a better expression, if not condition. Ned (not Neb) was the description my host used, but he did refer to 'a bunch of them' on the tee.

ONE OF OUR GREEN STAFF HAVING A REST.:rofl:

Your place then! :rofl:

Just watch it Winston , remember the NEDS AND DEVIL DOGS THAT GOT YOU IN STILL GAME , we have them at Bellshill now so if you want a game , your WECLOME,. :rofl::whistle:

:confused:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where did you get that from? There is no difference in a hazard: if the ball moves while you are removing a movable obstruction, you must replace and there is no penalty. See Rule 24-1a
http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-24/

sorry if this has been covered , say you have a steep faced bunker , half way up the face you ball is resting against the rake (movable obstruction) can you please advise me on the proper procedure

im thinking place a tee in the sand to mark position , move the rake , (for this scenario the ball moves) drop the ball but it rolls back down again , repeat & same happens , what the story then ?

as im in a hazzard can i place it and what the rules re pushing it into the sand ,,

Thanks

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
sorry if this has been covered , say you have a steep faced bunker , half way up the face you ball is resting against the rake (movable obstruction) can you please advise me on the proper procedure

im thinking place a tee in the sand to mark position , move the rake , (for this scenario the ball moves) drop the ball but it rolls back down again , repeat & same happens , what the story then ?

as im in a hazzard can i place it and what the rules re pushing it into the sand ,,

Thanks

There is no requirement to mark the ball.

If the ball moves then replace it. Don't drop it.
If it will not remain at rest do not attempt to push it into the sand. That is not permitted.
Place it at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest not nearer the hole.

If that cannot be achieved, the under a 1 stroke penalty, the ball must be dropped outside the bunker, on a line from the hole through original spot.

That is why rakes should be left out of bunkers

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-20/#20-3d/2

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no requirement to mark the ball.

If the ball moves then replace it. Don't drop it.
If it will not remain at rest do not attempt to push it into the sand. That is not permitted.
Place it at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest not nearer the hole.

If that cannot be achieved, the under a 1 stroke penalty, the ball must be dropped outside the bunker, on a line from the hole through original spot.

That is why rakes should be left out of bunkers

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-20/#20-3d/2

Cheers RF ..thanks for that

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another reason has arisen since, in certain circumstances, it is now permissible to rake a bunker before making a stroke.

rake.jpg

Green ball.

Player walks to greenside of bunker to retrieve rake. Sees old footprints (yellow) and tidies them up. 13-4 Exception 2. No penalty

Red ball

Player walks to greenside of bunker to retrieve rake. Sees old footprints (yellow) and tidies them up. 13-4 Exception 2. Penalty

How far to the right can the green ball be moved before amber shines and it turns red?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
in this instance, until where he drops the ball means that his raking breached Rule 13-2 with respect to his next stroke from that point...

You know I know that.

My point was that some unlucky player with the red ball, who has tried to keep up with the rules and is aware of the 'tidying up' facility, is possibly going to find himself on the wrong end of a penalty. But a less tidy, lazy or more ignorant (of the rules) player with the green ball won't bother raking and won't.

I don't like penalties that can be avoided. And IMO the location of the rake could be a catalyst in one being applied.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You know I know that.

My point was that some unlucky player with the red ball, who has tried to keep up with the rules and is aware of the 'tidying up' facility, is possibly going to find himself on the wrong end of a penalty. But a less tidy, lazy or more ignorant (of the rules) player with the green ball won't bother raking and won't.

I don't like penalties that can be avoided. And IMO the location of the rake could be a catalyst in one being applied.

many courses get round this one by only having one rake per bunker :(