Ball Recommendations Please...

Gringo El Bingo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Afternoon all!

I've played 5 rounds now (still very much a newbie!) but have got to the stage where I only lose one or two balls per round. Up until now I've been using lake balls and random balls found in the rough etc.

I'd like to buy some balls, but don't really know what to go for, and the differences between them etc.

I don't want to spend a fortune (say around £1 per ball in a pack?), and if it makes a difference, my short game isn't bad, but I can't hit the ball very far. (Never more than 200 yards off a tee).

Any recommendations?

(I saw some Dunlops for dirt cheap money in Sports Direct. Stay clear?)

sJoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
HI Don't be put off by Lakeballs, they can be great value for money..Look up some of the sites specializing in them..Titleist NXTs would be my recommendation.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get yourself to Premier Lakeballs - good company, good service. In your situation as a newbie losing balls regularly, get 40 decent Srixon Distance for just over £20 including delivery.

Gringo El Bingo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Get yourself to Premier Lakeballs - good company, good service. In your situation as a newbie losing balls regularly, get 40 decent Srixon Distance for just over £20 including delivery.

This is probably a daft question, but I'll never know if I don't ask...

Is a ball not adversely affected by getting and staying wet for a period of time?

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have some NXT's found them to be a little harder than a 333 but really nice to put with, tried some wilson staff DX2's too found them quite nice and very soft.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gringo, dont change just yet. Golf is expensive enough without paying more for something that currently makes no difference.
If you can make a habit of practicing as much as you play you will find that as you get better, softer balls become nicer to use, especially the short game. A lesson or two will help you get a repeatable decent swing for 50 yards and in too.
Dont think you can self learn everything, there is no shame in getting lessons as you will get a far better understanding hearing how to think your way through the game from someone else.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use the AD333 during the winter a great ball that doesnt cut up to much, i normally jump from the AD333 to DX3 around april, but these are soft and super spinny, and cut up very easy.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't you be better off maybe buying a Driver. You could get a good second hand one for the price of a couple of boxes of balls. Seeing as you are getting freebie balls anyway.

Gringo El Bingo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't you be better off maybe buying a Driver. You could get a good second hand one for the price of a couple of boxes of balls. Seeing as you are getting freebie balls anyway.

I do have a driver, but it's the most unreliable club in my bag. I'm playing on a short course (all par 3's and 4's) so wouldn't use it on my local course, and so bought the Cleveland Mashie to hit off the tee. It's much more accurate for me.

When I improve, and funds allow, my plan is to take a lesson or two to get going with the driver, and at that point take some advice from the pro and get one that suits me. Then I should be a little more comfortable on longer courses.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nike PDs can be found for about £12 a dozen if you look around online. A good range for you and only £1 a pop.

BTW, you're right, you don't need a driver at the moment.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Pinnacles if distance is what's wanted. Many good deals o be found.

AD333 also good all round ball. Often get 2-pack deals. Srixon Soft Feel goes a long way off irons - but bit too soft feel - for me.

Still worth sticking with pickups etc. Now might also be a good time to check out a few styles from the baskets normally in Pro shops. Normally 6 for a fiver, so opportunity to 'audition' the different brands/styles.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another shout for AD333 or NXT's... I am going to buy some Rocketballz balls and try them out when they are released, will probably split a dozen with a mate, if they dont do it for me, will stick with the Penta (again will try the TP3 first..)

What about Taylormade Burner balls? these are going/gone end of life, so you should be able to pick them up dirt cheap...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the problem with pick ups is your always playing with different balls, one minute its very budget rocks, next its two piece ad333, NXT, DT Solo, Softfeels, PD Softs, then its premium balls Prov1, Pentas, Bridgestones, FG Tours, you can never get any consitency with lenght both with irons, or with putting if your constantly playing with different compression and construction balls,

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have also gone in with a friend to but a few diffrent boxes and split them to try a few, I have found some balls better for short game and some for ling but as yet not a perfect combo, so trying loads have got so far:

Srixon Tri speed
Srixon ad333
Wilson DX2 and DX3
Bridgestone e6
Nike vapor speed
NXT

not tried all yet but looking foward to trying them.

Gringo El Bingo

Medal Winner
Visit site
the problem with pick ups is your always playing with different balls, one minute its very budget rocks, next its two piece ad333, NXT, DT Solo, Softfeels, PD Softs, then its premium balls Prov1, Pentas, Bridgestones, FG Tours, you can never get any consitency with lenght both with irons, or with putting if your constantly playing with different compression and construction balls,

That was my thinking also. I fancy having a little more consistency so I can better tell where my game is badly lacking.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also wonder with pickups how long they have been there or am i being a snob? Always try to play with the same ball for a round too, really get mixed up chopping and changing all the time.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use the AD333 during the winter a great ball that doesnt cut up to much, i normally jump from the AD333 to DX3 around april, but these are soft and super spinny, and cut up very easy.

Your not kidding OS. Heres mine after 8 rounds with the same ball

temporary-18.jpg

Another AD333 user here. Use mine all year round and find them really good!!