Ball Problems

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok to ease your minds golf ball problems :D

So after taking up golf a year ago now, I have tried a variation of balls included refurbished balls. The balls refurbished I have used have been the pro v1s and the Nike ones. Also bought new wilson dx2s and 3s. Now all these are nice balls the nike ones seem to go fine off the club, then I started using dx2 balls and they were ok again. Bought some boxes of dx3s as an upgrade and they are good for getting to stop quickly with all of my irons which is good. Then today as I forgot to put a sleeve of dx3s in the bag I decided to use some of the refurbished pro v1s I have in my car and wow these dont just stop on the green they will generally spin back a lot. Looks impressive but I am not so much interested in the spin back more the stopping ability. Also noticed they did cut up a lot.

So here I am now thinking I should be looking at trying to use a constant ball throughout the year. Now brand new pro vs are out of the window due to price. Again im not 100% sure on the wilson balls because I have noticed with wedges they do tend to shave the plastic off easily.

Now heres where I need your help. I play off 23 at the moment which is the first handicap I got only played in a couple of tournaments so not really had the chance to improve it much. Normally hit between 85-95 during these winter months hit the ball fairly well driving average between 200-250 yards its the putting and short game that really lets me down.

I have seen Srixion balls on offer at a lot of places including my club shop. When I first started srixion was a company I hadnt really heard of so shrugged it off and went for the more known brands as you can tell. How ever after researching a bit more sounds like they do some good balls. What also attracts me to the ad333 and the z star is that they come in a couple of different colours so ideal in some dodgy weather conditions.

Now have any of you played with these and what are your thoughts? Is there any particular ball you would go for over there other bearing in mind that the z star is bout 19quid a dozen and the ad333 are at 13quid a dozen. Which seems good value to me?

So any help will be gratefully recieved or even recommendations on other balls that are fairly cheapish but good value?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Off your handicap the AD333 will be perfect. Good off the tee (not too much spin) but with a bit of control around the greens and not like a pebble off the putter. I use the Z Stars and love them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
the z stars are very similar priced to pro v1s which you said were too dear

Although they can be found cheaper as there's a new version out any time now.
I've always found Z-Stars to be pretty durable even with sharp-grooved wedges. Or if you can find them, the older Z-URS were pretty good too.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The best I could find was about £30 for the pro v but for the z star can get them for £19. How do the srixions compare condition wise do they cut up after a good wedge or do they last abit longer. Thing is looking at the srixion website looks like there is going to be a new z star out soon so thats why they look like they may be going down in price. If they are the better type of ball then may buy bulk to save gettin a few months down the line and nowhere stocks them

Edit : just seen the post above and just want something thats going to help me as long as I can stop it similar with all my irons I will be happy just dont want to pay a lot of money as I still tend to lose the odd one or two

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I'm currently using noodle + over the winter while the greens are soft but am about to switch. Currently stocking up on z-stars as £19 per dozen is an awesome price. Works out as just 50p more a ball and is well worth it. I steered clear of premiums when I started as I was too wayward off the tee. Have tidied that up and am hoping that the extra stopping power on short game shots will actually boost my ball striking confidence as I won't worry about over running it.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

2 other options are the nxt (or nxt tour) or callaway diablo. I have used both these and they are great quality balls!

Karl

T

thecraw

Srixon make great balls. Look at the soft feel and the trispeed as well.

I use the soft feel alot in the winter and z-star from April onwards.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Currently using tri-speed tour. A bit clicky. Not as good as the old tri-speed. Ok winter balls though. Stop quick enough for me.

link80

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is one part of the game I don't have any problems with, I take regular walks round the course and over the past few years, despite selling some, giving some to mates and giving some for the juniors i've still got probably 2-3 thousand balls of all brands and types filling my shed in buckets and bags. I was thinking of offering some tester packs to people on here but as i've got hundreds of some types, pro-v's, ad 333's etc, and limited numbers of the rarer balls like pentas and z star x's, which I imagine most people would ask for i'm probably not going to bother. I do sell mint pro-v's and the like on ebay from time to time, only the pristine one hitters, no refurbs, and get average of £12 per dozen so if your willing to take the chance on there, premium balls can be bought for budget prices. Personally, i'm currently using ad 333's when it's soft and wet, and callaway tour-is when it's dry, which are great round the greens, but after hitting just about every type of ball currently available, plus some that are probably as old as me, i'd agree with other suggestions and say if you want a cheapish premium ball to stick to, then go for the srixon z-stars.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've used the AD333 for a while now and like them a lot. I was in Direct Golf the other week and had quite an interesting chat with the manager on golf ball technology. He reckons that Bridgestone give Srixon a good run for the money, so I've been trialling the Bridgestone XFIXX balls against the AD333 (both 2 piece). In my general play, I think the Srixon are marginally better off the tee, especially with the driver - extra few yards, but the Bridgestone are much better chipping into the green. I shot my best ever round of 86 yesterday with an XFIXX.

the conversation went on to discuss the differences in 2 piece and 3 piece technology. The ProV1 being 3 piece, hence the better spin on the greens. He again reckoned that the Bridgestone E6/ E7 give the ProV1 a good run for the money, so I'm going to try those when the weather gets warmer. Now it may just have been a sales pitch, but he informed me the John Letters Brand were an excellent ball for the cost. It's a 3 piece ball made by Dupont Rubber, and they go for £14.99 a dozen making it one of the cheapest 3 piece balls around. they use them in their nets, and reckon that the performance on the trackman is really good, not too far from the ProV1. For the price, I'm prepared to give them a shot when the weather warms up. Worst case, I pay £14 for some practice balls.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I started a similar thread last week.

For the for-seeable future I'm sticking with the Taylormade Noodle ball. I find it suits my game and current handicap very well. Just wish it would offer a little more spin around the greens.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just wish it would offer a little more spin around the greens.

Maybe it isn't the ball which lacks spin around the green. It could be that you aren't hitting the ball correctly in order to stop it?

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I picked up some Top Flite Gamer V2's for my birthday (I asked for them, honestly), and whilst I've not had a chance to try them on the course yet I have putted with them on the carpet, and they feel OK. Not as soft as a Pro V or Z-Star, but certainly better than an AD333.

They are three piece balls, and you can pick them up on amazon for about £12, and they get a lot of praise on GolfWRX.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
its the putting and short game that really lets me down.

While chosing a ball that suits your game will help, it will not improve your short game.
Have a lesson and practice

Yeah I know its just abit inconsistant and I am planning on having a lesson regarding this but in this weather short game off the driving range mats is fine but out on the course when its abit boggier is where I struggle at the moment. I want to get used to 1 ball ideally so theres no excuses of well that ball comes off abit better or this one doesnt go so well of the face.

Still abit unsure of which to try I think I may go for the ad333s and if I find they are not stopping quite quick enough with my irons then I will purchase the z stars to help that little bit

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really can't understand the obsession, particularly in mid - high h/cappers, for wanting to get lots of "stop" or backspin on the greens.

It's fine if you know exactly how the ball will react every time you pitch or chip it but for that to happen, you need to be able to hit it consistently well - not something that most of us do imho.

Surely, it's far better to get the ball on to the green and let it run out towards the hole. It's a much easier shot to play, judge and get used to, and I would submit that it's a far higher percentage shot.