Ball Positon - Tee v's Grass

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
When using a 3, 4 or 5 iron off a tee, i have been advised to use a 1/2" high tee. I then usually place the ball about 5" inside my left heel with my feet aligned with the mid point of my shoulders (approx. 16"). This seems to work ok.
When i hit a 3 iron off the deck (range mat or grass) however, this ball position does not work and i have to move the ball back in my stance by anything up to 4" to the right.
Is this not right or do you do the same?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I assume that off the tee you hit 'on the up', and off the deck you knife it.

It sounds like you aren't getting your weight movement right, so you are hitting down into the back of the ball. If your transfer hangs back, you will knife it every time.

I am not convinced you should ever tee irons more than the equivalent of a preferred lie.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume that off the tee you hit 'on the up', and off the deck you knife it.

It sounds like you aren't getting your weight movement right, so you are hitting down into the back of the ball. If your transfer hangs back, you will knife it every time.

I am not convinced you should ever tee irons more than the equivalent of a preferred lie.

To me that is such a good point murph, play irons off the lawn or from a very low tee setting to the level you indicate is what I feel is best.