Ball position

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May seem like a dumb thing to ask but I struggle with ball postion, I seem to set it up to far forward or to far back. I try to have the ball just off centre but i thing my eyes must be crap as when I think I am in that position the ball is no where near it. Is there a easy way to set up to ensure the correct position??

And before Chris D gets in, yes I have more issues than this 😂😂

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As a drill, put a club down, butt end towards the ball. Place the ball at the butt end of the club
Stand close to the shaft feet either side.
Make an equal movement with your feet left and right and the ball is centred.
More right than left and the ball is forward, more left than right and the ball I'd back.
If you can find a range mat with lines on you may not need to put a club down
Do that a few times and then take the club away and try and recreate...
On the course just imagine the club is there, stand either side of it and move your feet appropriately.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a drill, put a club down, butt end towards the ball. Place the ball at the butt end of the club
Stand close to the shaft feet either side.
Make an equal movement with your feet left and right and the ball is centred.
More right than left and the ball is forward, more left than right and the ball I'd back.
If you can find a range mat with lines on you may not need to put a club down
Do that a few times and then take the club away and try and recreate...
On the course just imagine the club is there, stand either side of it and move your feet appropriately.

Cheers mate, I think I just have crap vision and everything I look at is completely off or I'm just a git😁😁

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So much will depend on what you become use to seeing - and everything then becomes relative to that.

As an example, one of my regular partners over the years has a tendency to stand open....through the round he will bring his hips round to his feet, then the shoulders, then the ball starts to move forwards in the stance (because all the other factors lead him to see it centred there due to the other changes).
The weird bit is that if he then picks up on the alignment and squares up the hips and shoulders he still leaves the ball massively forwards (2ft ahead of his front foot feels centred to him!).

Imurg's approach is excellent and can be simplified to just the feet together as a normal approach effectively. Combined with shaft, arm and sternum reference points and what can go wrong? 🤔🤗

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just remember laying a club down (or anything else) as guide to your stance is not permitted during a round.

One on course 'trick' you will often see some pros do is to draw an imaginery line (i.e. just above the ground) from the ball to their stance to see where it is in relation to middle of the their stance.